Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chris Hicks, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Ok so we have had how to convert lp's to cd but how do you do tapes??
    i have some old recordings of my dad in the newham band at the time and want them on cd and then my ipod!! :biggrin:
    please help!!
    Chris

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chris
    cd
    dad
    newham band
    time
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

You do it exactly like you do an LP, except substitute an appropriate tape deck for the turntable.

4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Wow thank you my first reply to my first own thread!!!!! ya ok cheers for the help i'll just have to read up about the lp to cd lol i never read it just noticed it lol

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I'm glad to have been of assistance!

When you go through the other thread, pay particular attention to the posts from KMJ Recordings - they've got some good tips on recording from tape as well as from LP.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Someone call? ;)

Just to add to Brasscrest's praise for me ( :oops: ), Brassneck made some very good points with respect to tape heads...

The main points to remember with tapes are:

1) Demagnetize the heads
    2) Clean the heads
    3) If your tape deck allows alignment adjustments, make sure that the heads are aligned properly
    4) Use an appropriate tape type setting (e.g. Ferric vs Chrome vs metal)
    5) Make sure you use the appropriate Dolby (or other noise reduction) Decode system (so if the tape was recorded with Dolby B, C or S - or even dbx - then play it back with the same system).

Another rather major point to remember is that, depending on how they were kept, the older the tape is, the more likely it is to shed its oxide coat. What this means is that as you play the tape, the more of the material that carries the recorded material will come off and clog up your tape heads. For this reason, with older tapes I tend to record tracks at a time (or even parts of tracks for longer pieces and then edit them together) rather than entire sides of cassettes.

Obviously, the tape players don't require anything like the RIAA preamp. You need to check the output level of the tape recorder - again depending on the nature of the deck it may well be a -10dBV line level - or you could as before use a stereo (TRS) jack to jack lead to go from a headphone output to the line in of a consumer soundcard.

Anyr other questions, give me a shout.

Keith

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- One point missed .... make sure the tapes or cassettes run freely (fast-forward/rewind them to even out the coils on the spools). ;)

8. KMJ Recordings

Good point - thanks :)

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Another thing to consider is using the RCA connections at the back of the cassette deck to link to the PC soundcard. A decent cable with 2X RCA plugs routing into a 3.5mm jack does the job nicely!

10. KMJ Recordings

Yep - they were the line outs I was referring to ;)

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- and I wouldn't dare use the headphone socket btw ... quality of pre-amps in that loop are usually poor quality compared to line outs! Just my opinion. :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chris
    cd
    dad
    newham band
    time
  13. KMJ Recordings

Neither would I - but it depends on the deck you've got available to you. If you have a deck without line outs, then you may have no option.