Help Please - Internet connection

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Right I can't access the internet in my room at uni, i've done everything the booklet says to start it up but when i try to connect i'm told there is no dial tone. My comp is telling me that the modem is fine, i know the fone line works and i'm sure the cable is fine... I'm stumped any ideas people?

Cheers

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Back-log....

If it's keycom then the servers generally aren't big enough to let on everyone at once.... it's an over-all crap company anyway....

;)

3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Ok but i can't even hear my modem click on, apparently its changin to broadband after xmas so hopefully be able to get on that

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

It's the modem then... I'll lend you mine, see if it works for ya....

Hope u do get the uni's connection in ya room.. it was about time they did all the accomodation!

5. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I have nothing which may help, but just thought I should comment via my super-fast University powered Broadband connection. ;) :rolleyes:

6. andyp

andyp Active Member

Couple of quick things :-
    If you plug a phone in is the dial tone continuous? Modems don't like 1571, for example, cos it makes the tone intermittent and confuses them.

Does your uni switchboard need you to dial 9 or similar for an outside line, if so you need to add it to the dialup number in the Internet setup.

It may be that your phones bar outgoing calls (they did when I went to Uni, but it was 12 years ago). If so you're pretty much stuffed unless you can persuade them to enable your line (which will cost you).

7. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

If it's broadband and there are any extensions connected that stuffs it up too!!!