HELP!! please! Dissertation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Stix, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Stix

Stix Member

ok, im in my 3rd year of a BA HONS Music degree, and am allowed to write my dissertation on anoythin i want (to do with music of course!!)

I can think of a good title....... any ideas??

Thankyou xxxxxxxxxxx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BA HONS Music degree
    year
    Dissertation
    anoythin
    good title
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

OK, what's your speciality... at least give us a clue...;)

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

How 'bout some statistical analysis of the power of tMP?

5. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

The Baritone Sucks Because...

6. tim

tim Member

How about the development of a musical genre like the concert symphony, opera, the concerto really the possibilities of genres are endless... the concert symphony is quite good because it has its roots in opera and then through bach and bachs kids till the first true symphonies were written in the classical period.

Paticularly good as symphonies are often the way composers are judged on the quality of their extended work

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Mmmm, I dont think "any ideas?" as a title would go very far.... ;-)
    Sorry, just noticed ya lil typo, and thought, in true BOC style, would make fun of it......

As for your dissertation... and title.... ummm... how about..........

"Music.... and it's relation to Football"....
    You could babble on for ages.... cos banding has the sections (divisions).... band managers.... MDs (coaches)..... hoolagons...... etc...... ;-)

ok.. maybe not....

So... how about something interesting like.... how music has all these "rules", yet everyone breaks them.....

or, even better.....

Something on how popular music is related to classical music in a big way, it's influences and so on.... (Howard Goodall did a programme on this and it was really interesting... worth looking into!)

;-) Whatever you decide to do..... Good luck! :-D

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

What about looking at the way developments in wind instruments affected composers over the 19th & 20th Centuries?

9. impycornet

impycornet Member

"Baritones .... Why they should be seen but never heard"

10. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

WOuld you be one of the hooligans Naruco?

11. Naomi McFadyen

Nope

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BA HONS Music degree
    year
    Dissertation
    anoythin
    good title
  13. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Go for something really obscure so that it's more difficult for the examiners to criticise you...something like "The uses and impact of bass oboe in the 20th century orchestral repertoire"...or then again, maybe not!

Or (in the light of the baritone coments!) what about something like "The neglect of certain mid-range instruments in the modern ensemble situation, with particular reference to the baritone, the viola and the alto clarinet"? It may not be interesting but there's thousands of jokes to tell!

Dave

14. Lisa

Lisa Member

How about something to do with the connections between Music and religion. Or Music as a powerful tool of influence (for example as used by Hitler). Or Music and literature (i'm thinking of the main guy from 'A Clockwork Orange' who has a passion for Beethoven music yet does really evil stuff - there must be loads of other books which use music in some way)

There are millions and millions of topics you could write about...I guess it just depends what you're interested in!

15. Naomi McFadyen

....and what you can babble on about for 15,000 words ;)

16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Dianamite wrote her masters thesis on a history of active brass bands in Ohio...it was summat like 148 pages.

Can you do a historical dissertation or does it have to be experimental?

17. Chris Sanders

Preferably not seen...

Baritone is only one step up from band Librarian...

18. Stix

Stix Member

Thanks guys........ im interested in most apsects of music.... though i spose, as Naruco and Sandman know.... brass band is always better at our uni!! ive talked to my tutor....... and weve come up with the title.... along the lines of "compare a 50's Broadway musical to a 80's-90's west end musical"?? what do u think???? :rolleyes:

19. Chris Sanders

Do West Side Story!! Best Musical EVER!!! Ave It!!

Can lend you it on DVD, the reduced Piano/Vocal Score and the Soundtrack on CD if you want??

20. Naomi McFadyen

ooo, yea, nice one... should be an interesting topic to write on...

Stix........... now, I'm trying to think which mortal i mean student you may be....... :p ;)

21. Chris Sanders

Okay... Apart from you... how many percussionists are there in the 3rd year at Salford??

22. Dolly

Dolly Member

I actually think you should do 'How can music be used to combat serious bordem when stuck in the confines of one house for an extraordinarily long period of time with little contact with rational humans' ;-)