Help! Playing tenor horn with a broken arm

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dundee_horn, Jul 24, 2009.

1. dundee_horn

dundee_horn New Member

Hey,

I broke my left arm on Sunday and am struggling to hold my horn up for periods of time without my right wrist/thumb getting sore. I really need to practice as I have my audition for NYBBS in just over a week and am really trying to get into the big band this year. Any suggestions for what I could do to make playing easier/more comfortable?

Thanks

Claire

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    NYBBS
    ThanksClaire
    broken arm
    Playing tenor horn
    left arm
  3. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

create a strap possibly. or ask someone who has an ergobrass kit maybe.

4. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

A friend of mine broke their arm while playing the tenor horn and did, as HB suggested, make a strap.

5. worzel

worzel Member

I never realized playing the horn was so risky. Is it the vib rattling the joints loose?

6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Sit down and put as many cushions on your lap as required to rest the bottom of the instrument on.

7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I know Laura at Yorkshire Imps hold her horn with her elbow on her left arm, and just normally with the right i think, maybe that'll work? can't be bad if you can still be as good player as her can it now?

8. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

Sounds like a good idea - I carried on playing when I had both carpal tunnels done (not at the same time) and if I remember when I had the left one done I used to wedge the bottom of my horn on cushions in my lap - it worked for me.

9. Di B

Di B Member

Think the strap is the best idea but, if you have your arm in a sling could you use part of your sling for holding/balancing the horn on?

10. basstromboneman

basstromboneman New Member

Consider yourself lucky you're not a trombone player!

11. kajoh8

kajoh8 New Member

Try a saxaphone strap. If you clip it onto one of the braces between the tubing it will take the weight and your broken arm will just need to steady it.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    NYBBS
    ThanksClaire
    broken arm
    Playing tenor horn
    left arm
  13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Poor Claire! Bad timing chick. I suggest supporting your arm in a sling and either using a bass strap for support or using a triangular sling for your arm and fiddling around until you can fit your horn in it too. luckily, if memory serves, your horn is quite short so shouldn't be too bad. and of course take plenty of painkillers (especially before sectionals)! ;)

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How is the horn held? I think the cradle position would be easier to manage.