Help needed with new laptop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DaveR, Dec 29, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

After my old laptop crashed a couple of weeks ago, losing lots of data in the process, I've taken the plunge and bought myself a lovely shiny new Compaq Presario! (This is the first post I have made to tMP on it! :biggrin:)

I was wondering how to go about copying my emails from my old laptop to my new one. I was using Microsoft Outlook Express. The inbox and email folders must stored on the harddrive somewhere and I guess I can just copy it across and the new laptop should have my old inbox on it. Am I right? If so, where does Lookout Express store it's data files?

Also, as I'm too tight-fisted to pay 200 quid for Microsoft Office, I'm on the lookout for suggestions for cheaper Word Processing and spreadsheet software etc. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    count
    story
    life
    Help
    new laptop
  3. NeilW

NeilW Member

Sorry, don't use OE, so I don't know how it stores its data.

http://www.openoffice.org/ is quite a good alternative to MS Office - but make sure you set it up to save in MS file types if you want to be able to share with MS users...

Neil.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Thanks Neil, that looks like an interesting alternative to MS Office. :tup

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not a big OE user either but I'm sure it is stored in your profile directory somewhere, typically at C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\<a big string of hex characters>\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx

You can either search for Inbox.dbx, or from within OE, right click on the inbox name and select properties and it will tell you where it is stored. I believe the same is true of the other folders.

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Search for files (including hidden files and folders) for things with the extension .dbx .....

Bah....not fast enough :)

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Brilliant - thanks, I'll give it a go.

8. winterman

winterman Member

As stated Open Office is a very good alternative to MS Office..

I also prefer using Mozilla Thunderbird to Outlook Express, but that is personal preference..

This link will help you with porting your OE data across if you decide you want to stick with it..

http://tinyurl.com/5e5fw

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've just installed Open Office - what little I've seen of it looks impressive! And it's my favourite price too! :biggrin: :tongue:

I don't know Thunderbird, but I like other Mozilla products. Hmm, can I fill my laptop with entirely open source / free software I wonder? :biggrin:

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Firefox is an old favourite of mine, I've used it for a while. Although, having said that, I've only got IE7 on here at the moment! :)

So, I'm using AVG instead of Norton, OpenOffice instead of MS Office, gVIM instead of Notepad, FileZilla for ftp, Firefox as a browser and maybe Thunderbird for email.

If someone knows an open source version of Sibelius I'll have everything installed on here for free! :biggrin:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    count
    story
    life
    Help
    new laptop
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It would all be great Dave if only you had a decent OS to run it all on. Still, it's great to see someone not prepared to sell their soul to the man. Good on you.

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Actually, I have no problem with Microsoft at all, and I've never really understood what the generally perceived problem with Microsoft is. However, as I only ever use the most basic functionality in MS Software, if I can get the same functionality for free somewhere else then my natural miserliness comes heavily into play! :tongue:

15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

For the most part Dave it all comes down to two issues - security and stability. If MS can get these basics right then Vista should be worth the wait.

16. TheMusicMan

I agree in the main with what john says and will soon be trying my hand at MacOS when I purchase a Macbook for the ever growing studio!!!

17. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hmmmm......

Good article and links here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/28/vista_drm_analysis/

I won't be getting Vista unless forced to! (I only got XP 2 months ago....)

18. oddbod

oddbod Member

Re your email transfer - the better security of XP has caused me a problem previously. - indeed your old inbox/sent items etc are stored in an identity folder as previously stated in this thread - but trying to get into them is not straight forward - if you copy them across - XP is aware that you may not be the same individual and wont let you read them! - there are bits of software that let you do it - (It's about 3 years since I tried and I can't remember what they are called, but a fairly well worded Google search would find them) - I could do it on a PC but I've never dared open a laptop! - don't even know if the IDE connections are the same as for a normal hard-drive... best of luck

19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Just google for a free .dbx reader if all you want to do is have access to them.

20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Thanks folks - mission accomplished! Once I knew how to identify where the files were stored, it was a simple matter of copying them across to the new laptop. All looks well so far! :)

21. ex band-muppet

ex band-muppet New Member

Open Office is free. Stick it in a search engine and up it comes. Text, spreadsheets, just like word and it opens MS formats. (openoffice.org I think it is.)
    btw if that Presario of yours has a Toshiba SD-R6252 optical drive make sure it works before the guarantee expires cos they're notoriously crock.
    Dunno bout Outlook sorry. Never use it.

22. TheMusicMan

Hehe... you are about 10 posts too late with this advice...!!!