Help needed with mouthpiece id

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Flat Eric, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

I recently found a cornet mouthpiece hiding under the foam in my instrument case, there is no makers name on it, just Made in England G22. I bought a Denis Wick 4B to replace the beaten up Yamaha 11E4 that came with my cornet, but the mystery G22 just seems to suit me better. I've tried looking online for information as I would love to buy a new mouthpiece with the same dimensions as the G22. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I’d be glad to know the actual answer but I have seen old Mouthpieces with similar minimal identification. My suspicions are that such pieces were British made in the days before Denis Wick, so say the mid part of the last century.

3. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Flat Eric - I turned up this info on an item on E-bay (now sold) which may be of help. The seller listed it as follows:

Cornet mouthpiece with G22 and 'made in England' stamped on the shank.
    I believe these were supplied with older Boosey & Hawkes cornets.
    It is quite similar to the old Kosikup mouthpieces.
    Cup width is approximately 16mm and has a medium depth cup. (V style)

Here is the link to the listing:
    Cornet mouthpiece G22 England | eBay

Hope this helps,

Jack

4. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

And here's another old ad from E-bay, in which the seller describes the mouthpiece as follows:

A good cornet mouthpiece, marked G22. Made in England. Very little used. Looks similar to a 7c.

Picture:

upload_2018-8-11_21-14-42.png

Link to original listing:

CORNET MOUTHPIECE G22 Made in England | eBay

Best regards,

Jack

MTA - unfortunately, that last seller doesn't make clear whether the 7C he mentions is a Besson 7C like this one:

Besson 7C Trumpet Mouthpiece - Silver Plated - Nice Piece | eBay

Or a Bach 7C, like this:

Bach 7C Cornet Mouthpiece Good Condition | eBay

Sorry if I've muddied the waters even further!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  5. GER

GER Active Member

Looks nothing like my kosikup cornet mouthpiece, so would say the original ebay poster got it wrong

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Suspect it's an older (~1970s) Besson piece. "G**" was their size designation - e.g. G81 was their Eb tuba mouthpiece (? I think I recall?), which was about the same size as a large modern bass trombone piece.

7. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like there may be no definitive answer to this question, so I'll just keep an eye out and try any mouthpieces that come my way.

8. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

Indeed the G22 was supplied with B&H cornets in the 1980s as I recall it was stamped on several different models and I don't think the number/letter meant anything other than that it would fit a cornet.
    If it works for you - use it !

9. Flat Eric

Flat Eric New Member

I'm currently using it but it's in bad shape, that's why I would like to know if there is a modern equivalent. I've just emailed Denis Wick to see if they can shed any light on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice