Help needed to spend money!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di B, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Di B

Di B Member

I am going up to Bank's music at the weekend and have been given authorised by the MD of our band to 'go spend' :)

I'd like suggestions of any new pieces out there that are great crowd pleasers and excellent to play - I don't want to waste money!

I have also been given the task of looking for a cornet duet.... Any suggestions?

The standard of pieces I am looking for? The band is currently 4th section midlands champs and we don't mind a challenge!

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

what about breezin down broadway, opus one, you raise me up (cornet solo) and something stupid (cornet duet), bit cheesey but all crowd pleasers!:clap:
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Recent music we have bought/played which go down well would be:

Films -
    Zulu - Roger Thorne
    Do-Re-Mi - Roger Thorne
    Chicken Run - Sandy Smith with kazoos for front row and Euph/baris

Queen Rules - Steve Sykes - excellent "We Will Rock You" foot stamping, clapping and singing
    American Trilogy - Goff Richards
    Presley in Mind - Tim Patton
    Suspicious Minds - Roland Kernon - De Haske Music

Second Waltz from the Jazz Suite - Shostakovich arr Alan Fernie

Take Five - Dave Brubeck arranged Steve Sykes
    Malaguana - arranged Mark Freeh
    Caravan - Duke Ellington arranged Steve Sykes
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would advise you to take a look at what has been popular in the charts (not just the 'pop' charts) over the last few years and determine what the actual punters have enjoyed. Then find out who has arranged what and make a decision from there. Our European cousins have been doing this for some time and have been arranging pieces to suit.

TIMBONE Active Member

6. NAS

NAS Member

Recently we've been playing-

Soul Bossa Nova.
    Manhattan Skyline.
    Feather Theme (From Forrest Gump).
    American Trilogy.
    Going Home (From Local Heroe)
  7. Heather

Heather Member

I have to agree with American Trilogy. We play it at the end of our concerts and it always goes down well.
    Another popular choice is Mission Impossible.
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

It's also useful to get the music pulishers catalogues with sampe CD's and scores, some even have on-line Scorch software that plays through the whole score - Thornes, Pennine etc.

The IMI/Warner annual CD usually has a good selection of new music with indications of the standard of band required to play. Obrasso, De Haske and Bernearts (I know, I know:oops: ) also do the CD catalogues and they can be ordered on-line.
  9. dundee_horn

dundee_horn New Member

I would also suggest Breezin Down Broadway it is a great piece to play for all the instruments and is a fun, well known tune

TIMBONE Active Member

I forgot to mention, I would also recommend Roger Thornes "Do-Re-Mi", which I think is also only available online, (please correct me if I am wrong Roger), from
  11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

The works of the King will never fail to go down well !!!

There is only one Elvis , and Timbone is his prophet!!! Respect!!!
  12. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

noooooooooooooooo I have been wanting an arrangement of that for ages since I heard the grimethorpe? recording. Although, I presume this isn't the same arrangement as I thought it was unpublished. Although now I have found out the Kazoos are for FRONT ROW I don't want it anymore!!! They should be for BACKROW - far more fun!! :biggrin:
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Go for Roger Thornes arrangement of Zulu... it's brilliant!! :D
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Nope think it is the same, Sandy Smith arrangment. We'll be playing this at Newstead Miners Community Centre on the Sunday 8th May (8.00pm) so if you like I'll send you a Kazoo to practice and you can come along on dep kazoo for the night:D
  15. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

What an offer Francis!!! hehe but I am away that weekend, hope the concert goes well :tup