Help needed Re Schumann!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by barry toan, Mar 17, 2004.

1. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Just wondering if anyone on here can help me!:
    Ive got a job interview in a few days time, and as part of the interview I have to present a 20min seminar on 'Schumann & Lieder'!!!!
    Sounds very vague to me!...
    Are there any academics out there who can point me in the right direction, give me some pointers, main facts, etc?.........
    Anyone know of any decent websites that could help (of about A Level standard...)???

All help greatfully received!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    websites
    interview
    Sounds
    20min seminar
    part
  3. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Schumann

Born :- 1810 died 1856

1)Became mentally deranged 2 years before death
    2) in 1832 suffered paralysis of his right hand and the following year had a bout of nervous depression.
    3) 1827 sees his first attempt at writing a lieder
    4) 1822 organised a small orchestra of friends and wrote music that accompanied Psalms.
    5) Inspired to play piano after hearing Moscheles in Carlsbad with his father.
    6) At a young age he was torn between music and poetry, liked the poetry of Goethe in particular and indeed wrote many short essays on Art and poetry.
    7) Initially was ordered by mother to do Law at Leipzig, but he was a tormented sole and found an outlet in writing and playing music (law bored him)
    8) His experience of joy and loss in life and his love of literature was a combination that drew him towards the Lieder, a form of music that Schubert impressed on Schumann.
    9) He was a master at adapting to changes in form, especially changes incurred by the texts
    10) His piano accompaniments were like a dialogue with the lyrical line. He liked the intimateness of the piano combined with the piano, although he was also a master at having both lines in dramatic conflict.
    11) In his 248 songs Schumann used nearly all of the poets of his time.
    12) Wrote lieders on poetry of Shakespeare (Schlusslied des Narren, Twlefth Night) 1st Feb 1840 and later Robert Burns and Thomas Moore and Byron, who he was especially fond of. It was Ruckert, Eichendorff and heine that inspired him the most.
    13) Dedicated two songs from Myrthen song cycles, Widmung and Zum Schluss to Clara Schumann
    14) Ruckert's poetry reflected Schumann's joy of being with Clara i.e Libesfruhling (Opus 27)

Anyway...brain is now drained...

hope it helps

8)