Help Needed Please!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by COOL CORNET CAVE, Nov 21, 2008.

1. COOL CORNET CAVE

COOL CORNET CAVE New Member

I have a music project to do and I have chosen to do it about brass bands.
    I am currently stuck with no information and have till tomorrow to finish it (Saturday):confused:
    If anyone could help with any useful website (not WIKI as already tried it) or can pass on some knowledge I would be really grateful.:D

Cool,cornet,cave

2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Google Eric Ball - there is some info there

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It's probably a bit late now, but it would be easier to offer assistance if you were more specific about your project - "brass bands" is so vague, and could incorporate so many areas, ie the origins, social influences, Salvation Army or church bands, historical developments, styles of music played etc

5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Music/sport that not many people like...

6. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I know it's better not to wait 'til t' last minute.....;)

7. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I feel as a Mum that I should tell you off for not organising your time better :)

Like Peter says you need to find a topic within brass bands to work on, but as its due today this might all be too late.

What about the following:

1) Brass Bands in War time - what happened to contests, players and the effects post war

2) Pick a local band and find out their history, find some retired players and get stories from yesteryear

3) History of contests and of the demise of some of them in terms of venues and audience

4) Women in Brass Bands - Black Dyke letting in women and others before, how and what was the impact (don't be cheeky before you think it)

5) Brass Band Composers

and thats just off the top of my head.

Good luck,

Alex

8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

If you managed your time better, you could have gone to your local library and ordered some books from them, or www.worldofbrass.com could have helped you out there as well!!

9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Sorry for my no nonsense approach, but in my opinion he deserves no help and deserves to fail. A bit of plagurising on the last day is not fair to other students who have worked hard and used their time better.

10. Pav

Pav Member

Eric Ball played Running Back in the NFL well into his 80s. Well I never knew that! :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Ball

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Arial
    tupCool
    SIZE
    DThanks
    cornet
  12. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Maybe we should string him up outside the chip shop, yank out his toenails and leave him there as an example to all those who might be similarly tempted....
    Give the kid a break, mun ;)

13. COOL CORNET CAVE

Get it right!!!

[FONT=&quot]I was the only person doing it and the fact it was a bit of fun that the group asked me to do it and I didn't have to do but I didn’t want to let them down and this week I have been practising for a competition so did not have much time this week.[/FONT]
    :tongue::tongue::tongue:

14. COOL CORNET CAVE

Thanks for backing me up :biggrin::biggrin:

And any way I gave my presentation today and it went really well.:D
    I just need to take a brass band cd in next week.

Thanks for everyones who gave me help on this thread:terrier

15. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Members of tMP are usually very helpful in cases of genuine need, but you'll find they don't like people taking the p*ss.

16. COOL CORNET CAVE

i wasn't akin the **** just that i wanted to complete this project to a good standard and couldn't find any more good information from my head or any links

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm pleased that you managed to complete it in the nick of time. Everyone is different in how they approach deadlines. What aspect of banding did your presentation focus on?

18. COOL CORNET CAVE

I wrote about composers, National champs of GB, the instruments, miners bands, silver bands, salvation army bands, history of brass bands, styles and sounds of the BB, how top bands have sponsors have help ed bands and how they cope when they lose sponsors.

19. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

mmmm...not much then :)....
    Do yourself a favour and try to be a little more disciplined next time...
    Truly successful assignments are always a result of good old-fashioned HARD WORK!! ;)

20. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

How Thatcher Ruined my Hobby:

21. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Might I say to you, Cool,Cornet,Caave, that with the matter of silver bands, the original meaning of this has disappeared in the myths of time and have come part of the folklore of brass bands. I am glad that your project was well received btw, well done. What cd are you going to use?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Arial
    tupCool
    SIZE
    DThanks
    cornet