Help needed matching up Remembrance day words with the correct tunes!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Redhorn, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I've just been sent through the 'order of service' for our remembrance day gig next Sunday.
    Does anyone know the tunes associated with the following words? And whether they're in the red hymn book?

'Through all the changing scenes of life, In trouble and in joy,
    The praises of my God shall still My heart and tongue employ'
    Thats verse 1 only,
    And the other one goes:
    'Weep for the dead, let tears and silence tell
    Of blood and battle, horror and renown,
    The years diminish, but do not dispel
    The pain of lives destroyed and life laid down'

Also just verse 1.

I think ive got the other two- being 'O God our help in ages past', which i believe the tune is MELITA,
    'Now thank we all our God', tune NUN DANKET

2. wkt

wkt Member

We use "Wiltshire" for "Through all the changing scenes of life" and "St Anne" for "O God Our help"

3. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

"Through all the changing scenes of life" is Wiltshire.
    "Now thank we all our God" is Nun Danket.
    "O God our help" is definitely St. Anne. It won't even fit to Melita, which is the tune for "Eternal Father strong to save".
    I have never heard of "Weep for the dead" - perhaps you should contact the organisers and ask about the tune? The meter (10.10.10.10.) is the same as "Abide with me", which is the tune Eventide. It would also go to Ellers.

4. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Yeah i got "O God our help" wrong, should be St Anne.
    When i did a search on "Through all the changing scenes" I came across a site which played Wiltshire too. Other suggestions are Irish, Rest, Richmond, St Magnus, St Peter, Lloyd, or Stracathro.....
    Which ones of these are well known to 'older' congregations?

"Weep for the dead" is a relatively new hymn, but seems to fit the music for either Abide with me (Eventide) or Ellers.

5. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Snap! ;)

6. David Mann

David Mann Member

I think this is "O Valiant Heart"

7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Weep for the dead, let tears and silence tell

Words by Brian Wren
    (c) 1989 Stainer & Bell Ltd

Metre 10.10.10.10.

It certainly fits the Remembrance tune of "O valiant hearts", though the original words to that tune began "O valiant hearts who to your glory came."

8. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Yes i noticed quite early on that it fits to O Valiant Hearts..... but am hoping they'll accept Eventide, as OVH isnt in the Hymn book!

9. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

My guess would be that it was specifically written to replace "Oh Valiant hearts" as a lot of clergy these days find the theology of OVH rather dodgy! My guess would be that that is the tune that they will be expecting. However Ellers would probably be a reasonable substitute!

10. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

My understanding is that the tune to O Valiant Hearts is called the Supreme Sacrifice. Managed to get it on the internet for a band who needs it (in piano form anyway) as it doesn't appear in many hymnaries.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    God
    O God
    Remembrance day words
    remembrance day gig
    Help
  12. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I'm pretty sure that The Supreme Sacrifice (Oh Valiant Hearts) is in the old Toast & Tunes book towards the end 97ish I think.

13. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Lloyd and Richmond are quite well known with older congregations

14. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Interestingly, Hymns Ancient & Modern actually sets the words "O valiant hearts" to Ellers. Neither that publication nor the English Hymnal - nor any other I own! - has The Supreme Sacrifice as a tune, so I have often wondered how it has become so popular.

Completely OT, perhaps if the clergy (collectively) spent more time sorting out their own theology and less time complaining about a perfectly reasonable hymn then the church might be in a better state than it is! I could have quite a rant on this topic and no doubt there is a proper discussion to be had but here does not seem to be the place!!!

Regular churchgoers (who, let's face it, are mostly 'older') are likely to know most if not all of these tunes; but they will be expecting Wiltshire for "Through all the changing scenes" so don't give them any of the others unless (1) it is specifically requested or (2) your band enjoys causing a scene! Those who don't usually go to church probably won't know any of them so their opinion can be discounted.

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think you're right Kev. I know we've played off a printed and properly arranged version in the past.

16. Tredegarboy

Tredegarboy Member

Does anybody know what tune is used for "Fight the Good Fight" ?

Thanks

17. For Fight the Good Fight usually use Duke Street.

18. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Probably "Pentecost" or "Duke Street". It's long metre, so there are many options.

Because different tunes may be used for standard hymns (sometimes depending on which denomination uses it), I recommend you ask the organisers to specify which tune is required.

19. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Remembrance Day

Fight the Good Fight, two tunes can be used for Fight the Good Fight (a) DUKE STREET (b) OLD CLARENDONIAN. I would recommend
    for Remembrance services THE "CHAMPION" BRASS BAND JOURNAL published by R. Smith & Co. Ltd. 'IN MEMORIAM' (for memorial services) this contains:- The Last Post, Chopin's Funeral March, Reveille, O God Our Help, Abide With Me, and Supreme Sacrifice, plus a fanfare.

20. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

Duke Street

21. Tredegarboy

Tredegarboy Member

Thanks all will speak to organisers

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    God
    O God
    Remembrance day words
    remembrance day gig