Help needed from ks3 &4 music teachers..PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Crazysop, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I'm in a bit of a fix.
    I recently took on a nice new job in a KS4 PRU. They have asked me to teach english (eek) and Music.

None of the students are musical and cannot play any instrument and therefore are not following a gcse course, its just for fun.

The trouble is I have absolubtely no resources except for 4 decrepid keyboards which have no power supplies( or headphones):eek: . We did have a set of various drums however they were demolished last term oh and a set of boom whackers which conveniently double as light sabre/swords or general weapons.

I was promised some nice software to do some music technology- cant get it until january due to funding apparently, and also was promised some keyboards but same problem- january.

I emailed all the schools in the lea to see on the off chance if there were any spare ones floating around but no luck.

The 'clientelle' can be incredibly difficult as you can imagine and i'm expecting a full scale riot when i present my first class of 10 students with the 4 clapt out keyboards.I have visions now of being pelted with the batteries or a keyboard!

So what do I do? We are expecting ofsted any time, and my first music lesson with them is being observed. I'm in a fix, any ideas, suggestions or any kind of help with this would be marvelous.

2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Let the kids come up with there own instruments? Some form of bribe may be needed? (prize for the best?) (remember i a primary school teacher and the little darlings with believe anything i say...almost!)
    then use it as a rythm exercise and work towards a performance? Just a suggestion?

Best of luck!
  3. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Its not a bad idea, I thought of that but have been advised against it by colleagues - these are all permanently excluded 15 year olds, i dont want to provide them with ammunition to throw at me! I am primary trained too, never taught ks4 before, I need a fool proof lesson for ten rioting 15 year olds 4 keyboards and 1 observer!ASAP!!!
  4. gateway

gateway New Member

Plastic drums can be used to create a percussion group
  5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

We teach the ASDAN COPE award to all students in year 9 at my school (apart from G&T kids who do a GCSE early) . It is an Expressive Arts award (they get a lovely little certificate at the end of the year!) which allows then to complete different "challenges" to gain credits which count towards part of a GCSE equivalent qualification. Your SENCO should have information about ASDAN courses or look in

It works really well with the lower ability or more disruptive kids and it incorporates different key skills as the students complete the tasks. You need minimum instruments as it's a really flexible course and you can choose the challenges depending on how much time you have as well.

Good luck in your new job by the way!
  6. Texus

Texus Member

How about some street music or lyric writing? Try
    a. A song writing project - be careful of lyrics tho!
    b. A ryhthm project alla Stomp. Use hands, feet + body sounds to learn basic ryhthm notation. This cld lead to proper notation + notes when your keyboards finally arrive.
  7. Try Beatboxing and rapping over the top. I have had all sorts of kids doing it. You can find loads of info at about the sounds and how to perform them (watch the wee tutorial videos). I tend to stick to three - hi - hat, bass drum and snare. Really easy and fun. Use rhythm boxes to make up 16 beat rhythms and then make up a rap for over the top. At the end of the lesson have a 'rap off' like in 8 Mile and it should work a treat. No instruments required.

Han x
  8. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Cheers guys will give those ideas a try. i did first lesson today. OMG. It cost me 15 quid in batteries (for dodgy keyboards) which magically vanished by the end of the lesson.:ranting2: At least they didnt throw them at me. ( have subsequently purchased some multi adaptors at more expense to me)

It kinda went ok they did enjoy tinkering with the keyboards, however on the whole the students refused to have a go at any of the activities i set them:mad: and just basically refused to listen point blank to anything i had to say. :eek: Not good. At least my observer didnt turn up:woo which was probably a good thing.

Will defo give some of those ideas a go, got nothing to lose.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  9. klh

klh New Member

you could always put the ball in their to speak and ask what they would like to do giving them the choice of three things such as a rap, maybe about school (with some boundaries of course), dance (not likely to go down unless there are girls in the group) or rythmm with their hands and feet on floor/desks/chairs

As these kids have such low self esteem it can be difficult asking them to approach any new task. Enjoy.
  10. Texus

Texus Member

One word of advice - make sure that you have relevant deatails about each student in your register. Ofsted will love you if you can prove that you are making progress and "Value Adding". Rubbish really but there you go. Try to get some Fisher Family Trust Data to help your cause. Might also help with extra funding!
  11. horn1

horn1 Member

If you're still desperate for keyboards I've got some spares knocking around. There in good nick (we changed to midi keyboards when I started at the school but had only been bought a couple of years previously) I haven't got adapters for all of them but they're easily bought. PM me if you're interested! I'm in Oldham by the way!
  12. horn1

horn1 Member

I'd be really interested to hear more about this Laura!! It sounds like just the sort of thing I'm looking for.
  13. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Agree with the advice for Fisher family trust, targets are a lot more realistic than ones school's will come up with of their own accord.
  14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Nicola, if you PM me your address I'll shove some stuff in the post, thst goes for anyone else who wants some info on this award. It has a lot of clout with the less able kids, they think it's great they're learning rhythms on the drum kit or doing internet research when the "swots" are writing analyses!
  15. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Not quite sure how this works for music though - certainly looking at the FFT music targets/expectations for our Y9/ GCSE pupils, seems to bear no resemblance to any ability/ prior experience in music.:confused:
    Good luck though!
  16. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

How is it going with your lovely kiddies??

Nic, I'll be at BiC so will see you there about the ASDAN stuff?