Help needed from everyone please!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pennine Music Publishing, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Hello,

As Pennine Music Publishing enters its 5th year, we first of all must say a very big thank you to tMP and indeed all the members that have given us their custom. Without you we wouldn't be still here ;-)

However, having provided Brass Band Music for the last 5 years, we are now looking into moving into the world or Brass Quintet, Septet, (etc) 10 Piece Music - with a difference.

We all know that there are many different size Brass Groups knocking around today, this makes purchasing music for YOUR exact instrumentation quite difficult at times.

PMP are now in a position, where we would be able to offer quality arrangements of Brass Ensemble music - Yet the customer will be able to specify which instruments they would like. This does not mean that each piece will be re-arranged especially, just that each arrangement can be tailored to suite each customers individual needs.

The FULL score and parts would then be dispatched as normal. We are hoping to offer the full score and parts from anywhere between £6.95 - £12.95.

Now the part where we need your help...

We would like to know if tMP customers believe there is a market for such a venture, and indeed if any of tMP users would use this service. The types of music we are talking about are such as:

Albion Treasures
    (Is This The Way To) Amarillo
    Barkley Square
    For The Love Of A Princess
    "Hi-Ho" (from Snow White)
    My Way
    Puttin' On The Ritz
    Somethin' Stupid
    Somewhere Beyond The Sea
    Top Cat
    Numerous Christmas Titles

Of course these are just examples. So guys & gals, is there a demand for this service???

For more details on our catalogue and to see/hear our releases, please visit our web-site at http://www.penninemusic.com where you can order online or e-mail to sales@penninemusic.com, or ring us on 0785 251 9763

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Are you accepting submissions in standard format and reworking it yourselves or are you expecting new submissions to be in multi-instrument format? This does cause problems with Sib5's dynamic parts function, where it's quite difficult to create different versions of the same part.

I've got a number of pieces for brass ensemble ready to submit, but to make all those extra parts is quite a headache.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

But isn't that where Sibelius, Finale & other notation programmes become really useful? :confused:

4. The short answer is - "Both!". The composers/arrangers are free to write for as many instruments (minimum of 5-part quintet) as they like. Should extra parts need adding, PMP are able to do this. Royalties to the arranger will NOT be affected and the arrangement will still be credited to the original arranger, not PMP!

This way, PMP have the arrangements the public wants, and the arrangers/composers get the recognition (& money ;-) ) they deserve.

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Thanks for that. I'll tidy a few things up and zap them over to you.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Interesting! What market research have you done to back this up?

7. When PMP first started, we were asked numerous time about Brass Ensemble Arrangements, but were not in a position to publish them at the time. Five years later, now we are. This thread is (as well as answering any questions), is a form of market research, to hear the views and opinions of tMP users.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

When I was asked to resurrect my writing, I did a lot of intensive work finding out what was recognisable and attention grabbing by the musical public. Object was to combat the situation (especially when brass groups play in public places) to get Joe Public to approach the performance rather than see them move away (as if nothing was there). Unfortunately, most of the pieces that would have worked are the ones that have strict copyright controls.

9. Thankfully over the last five years, we've built up a fantastic relationship with some of the major copyright holders accros the world (Warner/Chappell, Music Sales Ltd., IMP etc.) There will always be some difficult pieces (eg. John Williams' music!), but I'd say 90% of the time we have been successful.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you have any sway with Schott and B&H, that would be more than interesting.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Music
    My WayPuttin
    tMP
    @penninemusic.com
    Pennine Music Publishing
  12. B & H yes, never had any dealings with Schott, be we would try :)

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know whether I'm being particularly obtuse, but I'm a little bit confused as to exactly what you are planning to do. Is it a question of re-scoring the works for the desired ensemble, or simply a matter of pledging to supply sufficient parts in the right transpositions for the players concerned?

With small groups in particular, questions of balance are all the more important, and if it is the latter approach then groups could find that either a) the balance is adversely affected, or b) that players are dis-satisfied when they find their part merely duplicates someone else's.

14. We wouldn't have the arrangements full of duplicate parts. Of course in larger ensembles (10-piece etc), some notes would overlap, but this is unavoidable. For smaller ensembles, all the parts will be individual, regardless of instrumentation.