Help - music notation software required

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnmartin, Jul 1, 2004.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

As the band librarian I must confess to a henious crime. I managed to spill tea on the solo horn part of a horn solo needed for Saturday night. It's now all smudged, due to less than successful efforts to mop up said tea. Question is this, does anyone know of some decent free software that I can use for music notation and I'll transcribe the part and print off a fresh new one. I could also try the old tippex and fine pencil approach and then photocopy the "repaired original". I do have the permission of the publisher so copyright is not an issue.

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Is it readable?

3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yes, but my Virgoan personality will not allow me to have a less than perfect part in the set. The horn player will probably complain too since she bought it.

4. fingers

fingers New Member

You can get free basic notation software from Finale Notepad, (www.finalemusic.com) but it doesn't use brass band instruments so you'd have to use the tippex anyway! Can't you just get another copy from the publisher?

5. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Can't you get the free version of sibelius off the website for a 30 day trial of the full program?

6. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

If you go to www.download.com and search for a composer software you should be able to find a trial package of some sort that should be adequate.

7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Music used to be played from manuscript, i.e., handwritten copies. Is that no longer an option, especially in an emergency? Agreed, not everyone has a good hand!

8. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Noteworthy composer is free and easy to use if all else fails. Our band recently purchased a full Sibelius package for this sort of emergency. Something to consider???