Help - Mouse keeps stopping working

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Sop_Or_Bass?, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

On my PC my mouse keeps intermittently stopping working. This is becoming more regular (most times) and am wondering what the likely cause may be (Norton, motherboard, etc.).

I have tested the mouse on another machine and it is fine. I have run virus checks & spyware checks with no problems picked up.

Any ideas? - getting worried a replacement PC is in order.

Thanks

Neil

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    PC
    Help - Mouse
    Norton
    Neil
    spyware checks
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Have you tried using another mouse on your own system?

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

^What he said. Also, is it a wired mouse or a wireless one. If the latter, check the batteries, if the former, check the lead and the pins.

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

if it's USB, do you have any other USB devices plugged in, particularly if they don't have their own power?

May be first sign of a failing PSU.

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Make sure your mouse and graphics drivers are up to date.

If you have changed any of the mouse settings (sensitivity, scroll speed, etc) put them back to defaults.

7. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Thanks - I will check all these things (it is a wired mouse).

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Also if it's USB, try it in a different port on your pc. If there isn't a free one, maybe swap it with the keyboard or something and see how it works.

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Unusual for a wired mouse to stop working unless its a hardware fault. The intermittent nature of your problem would lead me to suspect a broken piece of solder holding a wire in place. I would consider investing in a wireless USB mouse at least then you'll get a different driver and rule out the hardware too. They are relatively cheap and can be got in most supermarkets under 20 quid.

10. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Thanks for all your help. Have replaced with a PS/2 mouse and works great :)