Help - Mini Disc mics

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnflugel, Jun 14, 2004.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Can any recommend a microphone that could be used with a Sony mini disc player? It would have to be compatible to fit the standard socket. I have a lapel mic but often the results when recording a band playing are very bassy and inconsistent (nothing to do with the band playing ofcourse!).

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Disc mics
    mini disc player
    Sony
    socket
    nothing
  3. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

I have one you can try, but it might be the same as you have already. Will bring it later.

Tim.

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I use the audio-technica ATR25.
    It is a stereo microphone and I find it has good results when I record band rehearsals etc with it.
    Also very cheap, about £20-30 depending on where you look.

There are however, many many many many different mics you can get for the mini-disk players that range in price immensly!
    Depends how much you are willing to spend etc.

;-)

5. Frontman

Frontman Member

A very good stereo mini-disc mic can be purchased at Tandy. When I bought mine it was £26-95.
    The recording quality is very good indeed as long as you set the recording volume against the band sound prior to recording.

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Thanks for this guys :D

7. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Be careful, some Sony mini-disc players only have a "line in" socket (colour coded with white plastic), and even a powered electret microphone will not provide enough gain for the recorder. In this instance you can get a small audio mixer from Maplin Electronics which will pre-amplify the microphone, but it is a lot of bulk to carry around.

I you do have a microphone input (colour coded red), then buy a powered electret. I use a Sony ECM-MS907, which allows a switchable stereo image from 90 degrees to 120 degrees, but you do need to replace the battery occasionally (usually just after a serious concert!)

Hope this helps

Alan Lafferty
    one time broadcast engineer..........

8. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

yes, I made this mistake, but I use a silent brass processing unit on minimum reverb setting to improve the audio gain.

9. sop til u drop

sop til u drop New Member

if u can afford it, deffo go for the Sony ECM-MS907. its not cheap, but ia discreet and gives excellent results. you will have no problem with gain etc - it is designed for the Sony minidisk players after all!