Help me!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Dec 8, 2004.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I have a problem, when I play my cornet I apply loads of pressure too the mouthpiece to be able to get the higher notes, but this end up with me having a banging headache by the end of band practice, everytime, I think I might end up doing myself some damage, but I also realise its not a very good way to play (its also uncomfortable) so how can I stop myself from applying loads of pressure whilst still being able to play the high notes?????

Thanx in advance
  2. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

This doesn't sound good!

lots of ways of tackling this, but try angling cornet downwards so you can't press on the top lip. It's called the pivot method. There are bound to be loads of articles on it on this site. Headaches don't sound good. If all else fails, change instrument, it worked for me. Twice
  3. try playing as if the cornet was hanging off of the roof on a piece of string, then blow with putting no preasure on

the first time u try it ull only be able to get a few notes and they might be like a bit weak, but the more u try it the better ull get, and help protect ur teeth

4. Try holding your cornet so that you're not wrapping your hand around the valves. Instead, keep your hand and fingers straight, so that the top of your cornet is just resting on your 1st finger. If you try to press on, your hand will just slide along the instrument. It hurts your hand though if you do it for a long time!!!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I used to do this too, and it does work![font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/font][/font]
  7. Steve

Steve Active Member

Anadin Ultra in the liquid form and a few pints, you wont know you have a headach till the next morning
  8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

When you say "higher notes".. how high do you mean? Above "top" C between top of stave and "top" C ?
    I have noticed in the past that players will use excess pressure to reach these notes rather than just using more suitable breath control. It is very difficult to say what the solution to your problem is without seeing or hearing you play.
    I would suggest you find a teacher and try and work from there.