Help me - need a piece of music that links into Antartica /South Pole

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by I bang AND Blow!, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Hi

Trying to put together a programme featuring pieces of music from each continent.

I'm pretty much covered on each corner of the globe with the exception of Antartica / South Pole.

Doesn't have to be a brass band piece as there are a few pop bands / a choir. Just the name of a piece of music that links would be good.

The best suggestion I've had so far is "I Am The Walrus" so you can see the predicament I'm in...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Antartica
    pieces
    programme
    exception
    suggestion
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Baby it's cold outside? Get someone to sing it in a husky voice.

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There is of course Paul Lovatt-Cooper's new piece Antarctica, although on the only hearing I've had it didn't exactly conjure up images of snow-swept terrain. In fact, I had great difficulty matching up what I was hearing to the sections of the piece as described in the programme notes. But for your stated purpose it's pretty well unbeatable, I'd say.

Whether it is published yet is another matter...

5. winterman

winterman Member

There is a really old Euphonium Solo called The Iceberg, found it in our dusty corner of the library the other day..

6. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Does it need to be the Antarctic? or can you get away with the Arctic? that would lead to Nilsson's Arctic Funk?

7. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

(Coronation) Scott?

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Has any of the music from Happy Feet been arranged for band yet? Penguins are Antartic-an

9. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Hailstorm?

Although I'm fairly sure there is very little hail in Antarctica.

10. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

That just makes me think of lettuce...;)

11. Lesley Richmond

Lesley Richmond New Member

Sinfonia Antartica by Ralph Vaughn Williams.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Antartica
    pieces
    programme
    exception
    suggestion
  13. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

the antarctic Symphony - Sir Peter Maxwell Davies
    antarctica - Vangelis (its a movie score) but there is some sheet music avaliable for it from musicroom

14. Despot

Despot Member

Something nautical perhaps?

Antartica brings up sailing and exploration in most peoples minds....

15. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Music from 'The Polar Express' by Glen Ballard and Alan Silvestri?

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How about Arctic Funk by Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen? :rolleyes:

17. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Way ahead of you ;)

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:oops: ... well at least I got the composer's surname right, lol! I'm surprised there isn't a title for brass band depicting Captain Scott's journeys.

19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

How tenuous can you get away with? Apart from the specifically "Antarctic" pieces mentioned, for which you'd need a Championship band or competent Symphony Orchestra (neither of which St Anne's had last time I checked ;)) there isn't much that actually namechecks "Antarctica". But you could try.....

Nimrod - this was the name of Shackleton's 1907 expedition (and the ship)
    Winter from The Four Seasons or the Masque from Act III of Purcell's King Arthur - just because they're "cold" music!
    Anything from the soundtrack to "Happy Feet" :)oops: how can you tell I've got young kids?), which is almost entirely set in Antarctica
    Ditto for "March of the Penguins", soundtrack by Alex Wurman, music clips here

20. There is also a piece by the composer Carl Wittrock entitled "Antarctica" published by Gobelin Music that you may wish to consider. It's classed as moderate difficulty and there is a sound file to listen to.

A link to the site is included here: http://www.gobelinmusic.com/info.aspx?id=4&plid=1&editionnr=596

If you are struggling for other continents then Carl Wittrock seems to have pieces with titles from all over the world!

21. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Beyond the Sea. :)

22. Al

Al Member

This piece has a sub title if I remember rightly, "King of the Northern Sea" so not Antarctic. :(