Help me find out please.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Oct 14, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

On friday, saturday and sunday I had some serious allot of playing with my "grown up" band, we had to play Quintessence for a qualification. Well I think I played too much and now I suddenly can't hit any high notes anymore. And I have a huge concert to play with the youth band at a competition where I'm going to play the Funky Brass solo and all that...
    It's just strange and I don't know what to do, I have allways been good at the height..

Does anybody know why this happened to me?

Thank you.

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

When you say you can't play high any more, what happens when you try?

3. xRinat

xRinat Member

I just wont hit it.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Is it just like your lip won't do what you want? If so, it could be that you've just tired yourself out a bit. Particularly if your lip starts to ache when you play.

I'm no expert, but taking a couple of days off might help you recover.

5. xRinat

xRinat Member

Yes, they just wont do the work for me like they did for some days ago.
    I will try and recover.

Thank you :)

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've bruised your lip. Best cure - a week off playing.

7. flash harry

flash harry Member

Did you warm down properly?

8. Euph4Rob

Euph4Rob New Member

I wouldn't take too long off - just stick to long notes and lower octaves.
    I know it sounds boring but put a metronome on 60bpm and just play C major 1 octave, 4 beats per note. Focus on the quality of the sound, the clarity of moving between each note, and keep it very comfortable, deep breaths, NOT LOUD!!
    THis should just relax the lip, and help you think about air and breath support - the only 2 things you need to play!

If you'v been able to get the high register you don't have to worry about practicing it so much, it's there for when you need it, not to impress the neighbours!
    When you're feeling more relaxed take the scale higher by 1 note until that feels comfortable.
    That might help a little!

9. xRinat

xRinat Member

All good tips, I tried playing today and damn I hit the 3rd octaves eeeassy :)

Im back on track!

10. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Do you mean, that when you did try to pitch the high notes, you ended up pitching a much lower note instead?

I've had that problem before - once at a practise, and a few days later I was fine. It was really frustrating though.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Funky Brass
    Quintessence
    youth band
    height
    saturday
  12. xRinat

xRinat Member

Yes! Excactly that! It made me wanna kill something when that happened.

13. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I think it's one of those things, from my experience, that just happens and then a few days later you're fine.

14. MoominDave

Yes, bruising heals...

15. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I don't know about xRinat, but when I had that problem, I had been fine - don't think I had any bruises on my lip. It was really strange because I'd just started playing the cornet (after spending years playing a trumpet) and for that one evening, I couldn't pitch anything higher that a middle line B.

16. MoominDave

But xRinat's description fits lip bruising very well.

If I might suggest so tactfully, your problem experience does not seem to be actually related to his - it sounds much more likely that yours was caused by unfamiliarity with the instrument and/or mouthpiece.

17. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I guess so, except that the strange thing was that I'd played with the same mouthpiece much earlier in that year for a bit, and was fine, and then started playing it again about a month or so before I found that just couldn;t get any high notes.

18. xRinat

xRinat Member

Some people has that, and some not, it's different from person to person.