Help "KIM"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mikebass, Aug 21, 2005.

1. mikebass

mikebass New Member

Have tried the band sage and tried the web, but can not find any information on the Cornet Solo "KIM" by Allan Street. It was recorded by Wingates back in 1966 on a mfp LP (big black CD) Is there anyone out there who can help me?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    KIM'' Have
    Cornet Solo ``KIM
    Allan Street
    Wingates
    KIM
  3. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

what you trying to find out about it?

4. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

The solo part is in the Wright and Round book of solos:- "The Soloists Companion" Volume 3.

If I remember correctly I got it from Bank's Music in York.

The solo with band/piano accompaniment is available from:-
    http://www.wrightandround.com

Hope this helps,

Sud

5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

If I remember correct it is dedicated to Brian Mather who was principal cornet with Besses o'th Barn in the 1970's.

Allan Street was a Scottish composer and conductor, no longer with us, who led Dalmellington Band for many years.

But I don't know who Kim was!

D

6. mikebass

mikebass New Member

Thanks.

This is the type of information that I was seeking.
    If anyone can expand on this line, or sugest an alternatve, it would be great :)

7. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Richard Marhsall recorded it on his first cd release i think, would have thought there would be sleeve notes, although I don't have this cd, sorry but i'm sure someone on here will have it.

8. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

From sleeve notes, "The Debutante", Richard Marshall. Notes by Jim Shepherd

"This delightful solo has been in the Cornet repertoire for many years. The solo was dedicated to the Daughter of Brian Mather who was the one time princpal cornet player of the Ransome and Marles Works Band. Allan was a lecturer at the Nottingham College of Education."

Igg

9. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I'm doing this at the moment with my band and have been told by a few people that it's something to do the the Rudyard Kipling book "Kim" - a jungle story and Kim was a boy who lived in the jungle... know nothing more though!

Edit: Have googled it and found:

from http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/31/66/frameset.html

10. loz

loz New Member

I will be seeing Brian Mather tomorrow - I'll ask him about this solo.

Cheers,

Loz

11. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Imps used to play it years and years ago, (When the jolly Mr McCann was Principal), so it could well be still mouldering in the dark recess of their library cupboard.
    - Wilky

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    KIM'' Have
    Cornet Solo ``KIM
    Allan Street
    Wingates
    KIM
  13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Allan Street also conducted Markham Main Colliery Band in the Yorkshire Championship Section for quite some time in the late 1960's.
    - Wilky

14. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

...and Kim has recently been recorded by Alan Morrison with Brighouse on his 'Man with the Golden Cornet' album.

D

15. loz

loz New Member

I spoke to Brian Mather (ex Besses) yesterday - it seems that "Kim" was dedicated to "a" Brian Mather, but not to him. The real dedicatee apparently now lives in Australia.

It seems there was some confusion a few years ago when Brian was invited to appear on "This is Your Life" as the guest of someone who knew the other Brian Mather.

Cheers,

Loz

16. holsgrove

holsgrove New Member

Does anyone know anymore info about the actual dedicatee Brian Mather, the aussie one :)? Also does any one know sort of time it was written?
    Im playing this next week for a recital and need some info for a viva voce, but the internet is proving unhelpful :(
    cheers alex

17. tubalation

tubalation Member

This seems the most robust to me - Allan worked a lot with bands around Nottinghamshire whilst and after he lectured at the College, and wrote several marches, suites and arrangememnnts with local connections. There's a little more about Allan at http://www.musicweb.uk.net/garlands/18th.htm

18. Reissb

Reissb New Member

Brian Mather

Hi, Brian is a friend of mine, he lives in NZ now, still conducts a bit but has retired.
    Beautiful sound on Cornet

19. tomcat1

tomcat1 New Member

I knew Allan Street from 1969 until the mid-seventies. He came from Derby, where he lived for many years, and later taught in Nottingham. He spoke with a slight Midlands accent. I'm surprised by your assertion about Scotland. Any Scottish connection was well hidden...