Help! Ideas for baritone solo suitable for wedding reception

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Veri, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Veri

Veri Member

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've visited tmp but I hope that someone out there can help me with a secret plan I am trying to come up with.

I'm getting married next year, and although the wedding is just the two of us abroad, we're planning to have the equivalent of a wedding reception when we get back, so the usual speeches etc. I'm planning to break with tradition and make a speech too, and I was wondering about surprising my fiance (and everyone else) by playing something on my baritone (as it was through brass bands that we met).

I need some ideas. The piece needs to be fairly straightforward as I haven't played much in the last couple of years, and I'll probably be really nervous in front of 100+ people. There's a piano in the venue and I can probably find an accompanist from among the guests but might not have much chance to practice with them. So, emphasis again on straightforward (although I am about Grade 7/8 standard). It doesn't have to be a baritone solo, cornet/euph works fairly well. Ideally, I want it to have some love-related theme.

So - can anyone come up with anything? OH doesn't visit this forum, but I know that some of you know him, so please can you keep this quiet!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Magenta
    wedding reception
    baritone solo suitable
    guests
    Grade
  3. baridis

baridis Member

Looking Through the Eyes Of Love by Marvin Hamlish, arr. by Gavin Pritchard. Nice and simple, but very effective. Our euph player, Mike Howley recorded it for a LTTB broadcast a couple of weeks ago and did a lovely job.

4. baridis

baridis Member

Sorry, just read about the piano accompaniment! It might have a piano accompaniment available, don't know if that's any help!

5. how about 'Salut d'Amour' from the Childs Brothers 'Czardas' solo album.. beautiful peice written by Edward Elgar that he used to propose to his future wife :) its not hard at all and has a pretty easy piano accompniment which shouldnt need too much practice! I highly reccomend it as you dont get much more romantic than that :D the 'Czardas' album can be found on the "Winwood Music" website :) hope I helped!

6. sunshine

sunshine Member

Would you consider playing a euphonium solo on your baritone? Our principal euphonium played a piece suitably titled "The Wedding" as his bride walked down the aisle. It is a lovely piece and can be done with minimum brass accompaniment - then you can ask a few friends from your band to help you.

Let me know if you need more details about it.

7. Zappa

Zappa Member

The Swan - beautiful piece, will work on bari (a bit of stamina practice needed maybe ... high register) - available with piano accompaniment.

8. The Evening Star by Wagner. There are several arrangements out. I used it for my first marriage.

9. Zappa

Zappa Member

Yup, good idea!

10. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

What a lovely thing to do. 'The Rose' is beautiful and so simple - guaranteed to melt even the hardest heart! Have a lovely day! :D

11. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Love of my Life...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Magenta
    wedding reception
    baritone solo suitable
    guests
    Grade
  13. LynneW

LynneW Member

'The Rose' is a really good suggestion, it's a A lovely idea and really brave of you, I wonder if he'll be thinking of doing the same thing - could be interesting

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would pick something slushy, totally recognisable and that will leave a lasting memory ... maybe not as lavish as this video though!

[youtube]BSbchmyXFT4[/youtube]

- and if you want to listen to a euph player playing it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7K82U3H0Hg

15. Veri

Veri Member

I doubt it Lynne!

16. Veri

Veri Member

That was the one that came to mind most, and gave me the idea of thinking of something to play when I heard it at the weekend. Does anyone know if it comes with a piano accompaniment?

17. Veri

Veri Member

I don't know the Rose - who is it by? Would be appropriate as planning on having pink roses on the tables.

18. Kjata

Kjata Member

What about Donegal Bay by Paul Lovatt Cooper? Simple but beautiful melody, if a little high!

19. LynneW

LynneW Member

It's written by Amanda McBroom. We've got an arrangement by Nigel Hall, he's done an arrangement for Sop solo and Flugel Solo, both with Band accompaniment. If you look on www.mmi-music.co.uk/new_catalogue_4.htm you can download the solo part for free.