Help I am new to this !

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shirley eyles, Mar 22, 2006.

1. shirley eyles

shirley eyles New Member

My name is Shirley and I play 1st Horn with LGB Brass. We have just come 2nd in Section 3 of the London and Southern Counties Regionals. The band has only been contesting for five years with SCABA and I have caught the bug.
    I attended the horn workshop at Cranleigh last year, with two other members of the band
    I am married with no children. We have two cats Harry and Crotchet who rule the house. My husband is very much a band widower.
    In my working life I am a Matron of a Nursing home so music is my stress relief and sanity.
    I am very new to computers and communicating in this way.

Would like to make contacts in the band world.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shirley
    1st Horn
    Section 3
    LGB Brass
    Southern Counties Regionals
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

:hi to tMP!

We're glad you've joined us. If you want to make contacts in the banding world, this is the place to start.

Since you're new to all this - you might want to start by reading through the tMP Rules. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask any of the tMP Team - you can tell who we are because our user names are orange or red.

I see you've already made a bit of a duplicate post, so I'm going to merge them together . . .

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  4. shirley eyles

shirley eyles New Member

Thanks for your help.

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi Shirley. the main thing to do is just jump in. youve already done the hard bit with your first post its all plain sailing from now on!
    Have fun on here it really is THE best place to be if you want to make banding friends.
    Craigy
    X

6. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

Hi Shirley! I'm living up in Salford now but I lived in the mighty Cranleigh for 19 years. I never thought I would see the place mentioned on here! Was it at the bandroom? It amazes me how small the world of brass banding is sometimes. Good luck with it all anyway. As you can see I'm a newbie myself but getting the hang of it (I think!)...........

7. shirley eyles

shirley eyles New Member

Thanks for your support. What band do you play for, I presume on soprano.

8. shirley eyles

shirley eyles New Member

Thank you for your reply. My friend and I thought Cranleigh was a very picturesque town except for the pub we stayed at !! The bandroom was full of enthusiastic horn players.
    Percussion section essential to make a piece come alive. My humble opinion.

9. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

Which pub did you stay at? Was it The White Hart by any chance?!

10. shirley eyles

shirley eyles New Member

No, The Cranlegh Hotel. Ha Ha

11. Bungle

Bungle Member

Hi Shirley, welcome. I probably don't live that far away from you, as I live in Hailsham. I was a dep for LGB a couple of years ago on Eastbourne bandstand, I was impressed then by the standard of the band. I know a couple of your players from my time with Uckfield.

I am sure people would be interested in your experiances trasitioning from a non-contesting village band to a seriously contesting band and how you kept the less able players with you. Hopefully I will be able to bring my daughter along to your youth band some day as she is progressing quite well on cornet.

Geoff Collins - Eb bass Cranbrook

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shirley
    1st Horn
    Section 3
    LGB Brass
    Southern Counties Regionals
  13. shirley eyles

shirley eyles New Member

I live in Seaford. I think I was one of the less able players having returned to banding after a 14 year break. The musical director at LGB inspired me to improve and am a contest addict now.
    Music is a very important pastime for me.

14. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi Shirley.

I used to play sop a while back, but im back on Bb now, i'm the principle cornet of Wem Jubilee Band. I also conduct our youth band, which is a fantastic feeling.

Craigy

15. angei

angei Member

Hi Shirley,
    Welcome from one relative newbie to another:hi .
    I play 1st Baritone for Norfolk Wherry Brass - so maybe we will meet in Harrogate!
    Congrats on the Regionals :clap:

Angei.

16. englishgill

englishgill Member

Hi Shirley and welcome to tMP! I think I was at the same horn workshop in Cranleigh run by Owen Farr - it was a good day.

Congratulations on your recent contest success - I hope your enthusiasm will continue - tell your friends about tMP - its a great way to chat about banding with like minded others!

Gill

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Hi Shirley,
    Welcome - its always good to see more southerners on here!
    I play in your guvnor's 'other' band, Friary and I've know some of the guys at LGB for a long time (even depped with them when I was about 14, and I'm not telling you how long ago that was!). Its great to see you contesting and doing so well at it, congrats for the result at the area!

18. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Shirley, if you came 2nd in the 3rd section, then I take it that you will be at Harrogate in September, where you will meet thousands, well hundreds, ok, at least two fellow tMPers, me and Julie (ju33les) :p

19. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I play 1st baritone in Glenmore Temple Band.

20. xemmax

xemmax Member

shirley u rock!!! dunno wat we would do without you on 1st horn!!

21. shirley eyles

shirley eyles New Member

Sorry so late replying. Congratulations yourself. What a wonderful feeling to succeed.
    I have just been voted librian so busy getting the library in order. See you in Harrogate.

22. shirley eyles

shirley eyles New Member

Thank you for your good wishes. I think you recently played at the Scaba contest in Hove. What did you think of the day. Shame not more support.