Help good lower section music needed

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toby hobson, Apr 22, 2005.

1. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

I wonder if anyone could give me some good recomendations for effective sounding lower section peices. ive not played in the lower sections for a good few years and im a liitle out of touch with it all. im thinking of 4th section/3rd section at a push standard. Also i can remember playing a peice in my youth band (many years ago!!!) I think it was by Goff Richards and i think it was called something like country scene or similar and it featured semi cadenzas from the solo cornet and euph.Does anyone know what this peice is?
  2. Bones

Bones Member

You are exactly right, it is called Country Scene and is by Goff Richards. On that vein, stuff like Shepherds Song, Pastorale, Breezing Down Broadway are all quite easy listening stuff.

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

There's no Business Like Showbizness
    Let's face the music and dance
  4. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Thanks.there prob just a little bit hard to play well but thanks for your help anyway
  5. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

thanks i thought it was something like that. ive done shepherds and breezing,there the exact standard.Whos pastoral by?
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Pastorale's goff richards again.
  7. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

What about "Clog Dance"...that's a fun one and if I recall is quite thickly scored.
  9. jonford

jonford Member

Hi Toby,

A few Ideas:
    Swedish Folk Song
    Alloway tales
    Amazing Grace- Himes
    March from Great escape
  10. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Many Alan Fernie arrangements are well suitable for lower section bands, Singing in the rain, I will follow him for examples, but there are loads of them, all farily easy going. Theres lots of good Gorr Richards stuff about too - Light as air, and pieces like Memory and Jellicle Ball from Cats are always good.

Slightly tougher - but playable are pieces like The Gael, Victory (lord of the dance) and MacArthur park.

Test Piece wise... Variations on Laudate Dominum?

Really, its just trial and error to find pieces that suit. Hope this is of use.
  11. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Hi Toby,

Not one to blow my own trumpet but I think you will find that lot's of my arrangements and compositions are very suitable for lower section bands and especially my additions to the bernaerts catalogue eg. Superman, Around The World in 80 Days, Classical Gold etc. and an abundance of concert marches.

Now back to the Goff Richards Channel (only joking Goff!) ;)

12. DublinBass

I almost forgot...Prelude to the "49th Parallel" by RVW ... real nice!!

If you have a good Euphonium player (tone-wise) "Be My Love" is a nice solo w/ easy band accompaniment.

What about "Colonel Bogey March" and "Festival March: Celenration" from the Salvation Army ?

BTW Toby...I think this thread is a really good idea...any chance you could consodate it into a single list about every 20-25 posts or so by category? I'll even type the consolodated list up for you, if you'll just make sure they are all appropriate and sort them a bit.
  13. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

id love to do this if i had a clue what to do!!!! im afraid im totaly clueless with P.C's!!I forgot about the 49th,i had the pleasure of playing that on a lttb with Mr Tovey his interpretation of that and the samson and delila were fantastic.thanks for your ideas. toby
  14. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

hi darrol thanks for that ill have a look.had a original of yours out the other night actually a commision no less!!!! i may try to get the walls of boothstown church ringing with it this summer!!

many thanks

15. DublinBass

After this gets to about 20-25 posts I'll start a compilation and pm you...if you could just polish it off (fix missing bits or pull off pieces that are too hard)..we can just post it in this thread
  16. jonford

jonford Member

Century Explorer! AKA Boothstown Festival March :D
  17. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

well done.thats alarmingly
  18. We have a few pieces in our catalogue that might be of interest to 3rd/4th section bands. Might i recommend...

A Hundred Pipers
    Hey Presto! (NEW Euphonium Solo)
    New World Melody
    The Humming Chorus

You can view, hear and purchase on-line at our web-site.
  19. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

P grahams Dimensions is quite good

errr.... dunno - other than the total cheese.
  20. supersop_1

supersop_1 Account Suspended

appalachene mountain by james curnow