Help for GrADE 7 Euphonium.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by listerbo, Jan 10, 2014.

1. listerbo

listerbo Member

Hi all euphonium players. For grade 7 ABRSM euph I can pick from the following studies.
    ANY ADVICE????? Which to pick, which to avoid?
    1. No. 6 from 14 Studies for Cornet
    Arban 14 Studies for Cornet
    2. Presto: No. 3 from Fantasy Pieces for Euphonium
    Derek Bourgeois
    3. Study No. 20: from Euphonium Eurhythmics
    Alwyn Green
    4. Lamentoso
    Soichi Konagaya
    5. Salsa or Dixieland: from Rhythms of Life
    Jock McKenzie
    6. Funk: from 20 Dances for Euphonium
    Allen Vizzutti
    7. Tarantella Piazza San Marco (No. 3 from Partita Veneziana)
    Philip Wilby
  2. simonium

simonium Member

These are both very good. In fact anything from the Alwyn Green book is recommended as he makes full use of the range of the euphonium, and is a thoroughly nice man too.
  3. listerbo

listerbo Member

Thanks a lot.
  4. euph77

euph77 Member

Allen Vizzutti's Funk is a good choice; very playable and enjoyable to both play and listen to. Agree totally about Alwyn Green's Euphonium Eurhythmics; get the book!
  5. listerbo

listerbo Member

Thanks a one so far has reccommended the Arban which is what I was working on but it is boring me to death! :) Merci
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Try a few out and see which works for you.
    What will work for some people won't necessarily work for everybody.
    Personally I like Funk (as do a number of my students) but have had a couple that just didn't get on with it. I have had one who found a real love of the Arban (!) and nailed it.
    Only you will know what works for you.
  7. listerbo

listerbo Member

Thanks a lot for the tips. It's a bit hard to try them out as I'm in Italy and don't really know anyone else who is studying euph - let alone doing an ABRSM exam. I just needed pointing in the right direction.
  8. Vizzuti 'Funk' is great! remember having great fun with that in my grade7! Euphonium Eurhythmics is worth getting as well though! it can be most useful :)
  9. listerbo

listerbo Member

Thank you - everyone seems to be saying more or less the same. No one has said they had a great time with Arban! So I will probably go with Vizzuti!
  10. listerbo

listerbo Member

Decided on "Funk". It is really great to study - thanks!
  11. listerbo

listerbo Member

"Funk" is great - thanks for the suggestion.
  12. listerbo

listerbo Member

Thanks for the advice. I played Funk and got distinction! Saved me from the horrible Arban etude!
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

No sign of the Kopprasch 60 studies on this list any more? I remember playing number 52 for my Grade 7 ABRSM euph in 1992, and rather liking it. Certainly more than I liked number 54 for Grade 8 in 1993!