Help finding piece called BLAZE 1

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davetubaking, Aug 19, 2010.

1. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

This is not Blaze by Lawrence from the Blaze album. This is a piece I remember from many years ago. It was probably a radio broadcast I recorded on cassette but have subsequently lost. I think it was called "Blaze 1" and was based on a painting. I think the name of the composer was something like Watkins (although Ball keeps floating around although it wasn't of course Eric). It might have been Blake-Watkins or some double barrelled name although that may also be wrong. It was quite modern and certainly at the time too modern for a test piece but it wasn't avant garde. It might have been part of those London Collegiate Brass broadcasts that Edward Gregson did but I may have that wrong.

OK super sleuths that's all the clues you get.

Any ideas?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Are you thinking of Aubade by Howard Blake-Watkins, by any chance? Grimey recorded it in 1984 (radio broadcast) with Mr Howarth at the helm.
  3. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Do you know I think I might and the piece was based on a painting called Blaze 1 and its Michael Blake Watkins. (perhaps my twisted mind was connecting Michael Ball!!). Do you per chance still have a copy of said broadcast?
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Can you remember what else was on it? I only selected a couple for reference ... a modified (??) version of Grimethorpe Aria was also played.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What I remember was also Variations for Brass Band by Thea Musgrave. I also wonder if it is MICHAEL Blake-Watkins, not Howard?
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. davetubaking

davetubaking Member

Aubade is by Michael Blake Watkins and is available for hire here.

The programme note doesn't make reference to the inspiration being the painting Blaze 1 so I'm still not completely certain it's the piece I'm thinking of.

I'm afraid i can't remember what was broadcast with it.

I remember Thea Musgrave's Variations - a most excellent piece and possibly one of a very few if the only serial 12-tone piece for BB. I have a score. But I can't remember when that was broadcast. I don't remember hearing a modified performance of Grimethorpe Aria.