Help - DVD player problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Dec 6, 2004.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

DVD player problem - solved

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder which is refusing to play my shop bought pre-recorded films. No problems playing stuff I've recorded on the machine before but when a pre-recorded DVD is played it runs through the first 30 seconds of legal requirements for playing etc then freezes with an error message U99. When it does this the DVD cannot be ejected either.

The standby button has to be turned off and on in order to get the DVD out and then the DVD player goes into RECOVER mode to reset it self.

This problem is on all my DVD's. The machine is 2 years old and I got a letter last week from the manufacturer offering to extend their warranty - OK I know there's a calendar in the machine but do they have self- distruct mode chips which know when the warranties run out?

Anyone else had the same problem and know any solution other than getting it in to the dealers? What's frustrating is the fact that it plays the recorded stuff but not the bought ones. All the disks are the correct region and have played before.

2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Is there a dvd plague going round because my dvd player on my computer has packed in this week, and my cdr drive broke too. Totally bobbed off, tried everything and will have to replace them both. Hope u manage to get yours sorted.

3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Rough guess I'd say that the laser is screwed. I think this model has either a different laser or different power setting that it uses for it's own recordings. Either way a bit pricey to get fixed. Try the first two links on this page they may point you in the direction of a solution.

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p...c=&ei=ISO-8859-1&fr=co-fsc-web-t&cop=mss&tab=

By the way the concept you're thinking of when components fail around the end of the warranty is called "planned obsolesence". Some people believe that manufacturers deliberately install components that they know will fail after a set amount of time in order to get repeat business.

4. gorgeous_si

gorgeous_si New Member

I found this relating to the Panasonic DMR-HS2 (may be the wrong model, but might be worth a try)

Error: U99
    Cause: System stack
    Countermeasure: Turn off main unit power, and then turn it on again (Edit: I've just read a suggestion that this means unplugging it from the mains for 10 minutes). If there is no change, keep pressing the power switch for 10 seconds.

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for the info - will try the mains power off thing next. If that fails I think I'll take out the extended warranty and get it back to the shop. I generally do not buy these as I think they are a rip off however the one I've just been offered starts 1 year after the manufacturer's policy ran out. Plus it lasts for another year from now.

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well after 2 1/2 months finally got an opinion from Panasonic - the DVD needs a new laser in order to play pre-recorded DVDs - cost £180! or I can have a brand new one for £199.

Stuff that for a game of soldiers have bought a DVD player only for £29.00 and will use the original machine for recording and playback off the TV.

7. rutty

rutty Active Member

Good man - exactly the right choice. With DVD players being so cheap these days they've become almost a disposable item. I have a cheap Pacific player (from ASDA) and it works fine :)

8. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Mine was £50.00 from Tesco about 2 1/2 years ago. Best thing about the cheap ones is that they are so easy to make multi region. :biggrin: