Help! Can't find recoding of Buy a broom

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Emily Johnstone, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Emily Johnstone

Emily Johnstone New Member

Hi, does anyone know where I might find a recording of buy a broom by H Round for tenor horn? I've searched the net but not getting anywhere!
    Thanks

2. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure you'll be able to track down a recording of it played on a tenor horn, Emily - it usually seems to have been played on typical folk music instruments, such as fiddles. One point which may help is that, according to this web page:

Lish Young Buy-a-Broom (Roud 1865)

is that the name is spelt Roud, not Round. There's some more background info on this page:

Buy-a-Broom Waltz - The Traditional Tune Archive

with some references to printed sources of the music. Another possible historical source is that, according to the Traditional Tune Archive:-

" . . the tune is an adaptation of the German melody 'O Du Lieber Augustin.' Wulf Stratowa, writing in 'Oesterreichishce Lyrik aus Neun Jahrhunderten' (Vienna, 1848) identifies the composer as Marx Augustin, an itinerant bagpiper."

HTH, and best of luck,

Jack

3. Emily Johnstone

Emily Johnstone New Member

Thanks for the info. My son has sheet music for solo horn and piano and wants to play it for his next solo brass competition. We usually manage to find recordings on YouTube or on a cd but I'm struggling to find this one.

4. David Broad

David Broad New Member

I think I would end up writing it into Musecore or Sibelius if he wants a guide as to how it should sound. 40 odd years ago my friend Howard Miles learned to play Zelda as a 15 year old from listening to a record long before we got hold of the sheet music.

Emily Johnstone likes this.