HELP! anyone remember ucas applications?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Phil, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Phil

Phil New Member

I really need help im applying to uni this year and need to do a personal statement... the thing is i dont know how. im not getting help from the school as im a year younger than all the others so im finding it a struggle as ive not been able to do the things the 6th years have if any one who is applying this year or has applied can help me id be so grateful! and if we ever bumped into one an other at a contest id buy you a drink or 10 cause im desperate!:confused:
  2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I'm a Y13 form tutor at my school so am advising pupils on their personal statements at the moment. What are you planning to study? I can stick some stuff in a pm for you if you want.

Key things are to talk about why you want to study that subject, any relevant work experience (despite what most pupils seem to think they're not interested in 2 weeks of making coffee in Y10), how your studies have prepared you for this course. Also writing about things like band is good because it shows ability to stick at something, but don't overdo the outside interests bit.
  3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I work at a 6th form and would be happy to have a read of it for you as well. Send it to me by PM if needed :biggrin:
  4. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

make sure you get IT skills in there too, for example.... I'm at huddersfield doing journalism degree so in my personal statement i put something "i have good IT experience and i also have experience in using Quark Express and desk top publishing etc." which is a program i have to use on my course.
    Music is a good one 'cause Sibelius and other programs are used in unis and they wil be impressed if you know how to use it!
    BUT if you're doing an english or something degree where you don't have to use any computer programs then just put you're computer literate!!!!

PS - don't put that youjust made tea and coffee on work experience....put what you're MEANT to have done!!!! All i did was sit on a chair and looked at a screen...then made tea and coffee. Had Dinner and did the same in the afternoon
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You might also consider giving them a reason why they should pick you over the hundreds of other applicants for their course. Obviously don't over-do it, but give them a reason to look at you twice.

I would also be willing to look at it if you wish. Are you doing it online? All our entries are done this way now.
  6. Phil

Phil New Member

yeah all through the internet and thankyou all so much ive been so stuck the worst thing is i dont even have dead lines or anything... ive been told christmas but am not sure and yeah i'll send anyone my personal statement the more opinions the better in my view cause id really like to make it in this year
  7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Hi Phil. I'm a university admissions tutor so I get to read quite a few UCAS applications... There's plenty of good advice above; keep it simple and well-structured and have someone check it through for grammatical mistakes before making the final version. First impressions count.

So far as timing is concerned, get it in as soon as possible. We'll start making offers in the next few weeks and the feeling here is that the first applicants to get themselves organised are usually the best students.

PM your statement to me if you'd like me to look over it for you.

Best of luck!

8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Definitely get it in as soon as possible. We've basically told our pupils to get it in by half term.
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I realise that Mr Mute's avatar is a dragon, but this really is the horses mouth!
  10. Phil

Phil New Member

yeah lol i get what you mean yeah well when is half term? you mean the october holidays?
  11. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member