Help/Advice please!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Evans, Dec 3, 2015.

1. David Evans

David Evans Member

Old Bari/Euph player unable to practice properly for a few months and now I find I have lost my high register. Are there any techniques or studies you would recommend to help retrieve it as soon as possible?
    Any advice really gratefully received and thanks.
    David

2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I wish someone would come back on this ~ I need to know !!!

3. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

Play low and as softly as you can? Works for cornet/trumpet

mikelyons likes this.
  4. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

There really isn't a quick way, think back to when you were starting out, the higher registers didn't come easily then, it was only after many hours of practice of what you can manage that builds up the muscles. It is doing that once again, hours of practice of lower register, though it shouldn't take too long this time round, if only a few months of not playing.

5. Mello

Mello Member

If you send me a PM I will get back to you . I hate posting due to past experiences. Cheers , Mello

MoominDave and Accidental like this.
  6. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I don't like to see this, working and offering advice via PM.
    It means other members won't see what could be valid advice from which they also might benefit.

7. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Also that, with respect, if dubious/naff advice is offered there's no opportunity to counter it.
    Not intended in the accusatory at all, but as the nature of a forum is that you often don't know who's who, or who does and doesn't know what they're talking about, keeping in the open should be the norm.

If veering offtopic its a bit different...

Slider1 likes this.
  8. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

What the hell is wrong with that apart from you wont get your chance to wag your fingers in disapproval or spout off trying to be cleverer. If you have advice for the OP give it, if not say nowt (unless its funny and I seriously doubt it would be).

o_O

2nd tenor and iancwilx like this.
  9. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

My advice is to get a few lessons from a decent teacher, everyone is different and a teacher will be able to advise on what might help YOU.

ROBTHEDOG likes this.
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I can't see a much respected and accomplished player like Mello ever giving "Naff" advice !

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euph
    Old Bari
    David
    Advice
    thanks
  12. Mello

Mello Member

Those comments are exactly the reason I no longer post . The results I have had as a teacher for over 40 years at Salford , RNCM Leeds Coll London College etc should be some sort of testimony but then again it seems not. Ah well - at least testing the water on this forum endorses my decision not to go public. Not a problem for me, sorry , but you will have to find another target.

13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I totally agree Mello. I'm not in your league, but in my opinion there are far too many folk on here who are extremely opinionated and are only looking for opportunities to demean and belittle others. It would be interesting to know just what experience they have that qualifies them to take this arrogant stance.
    I rarely post on here these days for much the same reasons as yourself.

mikelyons likes this.
  14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Definitely go for Mello's suggestion of sending a PM....he's a gentleman of the utmost repute, and came in for a great deal of trolling attention previously....hence his understandable reticence....

Carry on looking elsewhere, of course, as like anywhere else you can garner lots of alternatives, then choose what works for you.

Incidentally, I quite often give and receive advice by PM....IMO it's why the functionality exists.

15. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I see less 'Trolling" of late - perhaps due to new management and software updates - but unfortunately too much damage has been done in the past and so the rest of us lose the expert comments of gents like Mello.

mikelyons and iancwilx like this.
  16. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I do see your and Nev's point and might normally agree to some extent. The particular reasons for Mello's stance have been explained.

You played Sop for a well regarded second section band so (IMHO) you must be quite a capable player. Might I suggest, in what I hope you find to be a friendly way, that you offer the OP an answer to his question? I, for one, welcome multiple answers on posts and feel sure that you have the skill and experience to add something useful. As I recall you returned to banding after a longish break so from that perspective your experience is particularly relevant.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  17. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

That particular comment was not directed at any individual (although it seems some people take offence far too easily). Honestly, Nevs point was the relevant one, in this case, mine was a more general observation.

Still playing sop, just for a different band. And you're right, I've been back playing almost 2 years now, following about 5 off.

I'm not sure how relevant my observations are, the simple things that we all know have done the job for me - practice daily, plenty of slurs (Colin's advanced lip flexibilities is gold, as much for the intro as the exercises themselves) and don't expect miracles - trying to force progress is a good way of learning habits that prevent it.

MoominDave likes this.
  18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

19. I would suggest the Remington warm ups for getting a lip back to speed.

20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have had similar results so comment rarely

21. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

Chas Colin Flexibilities

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euph
    Old Bari
    David
    Advice