Help A.s.a.p.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave1, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Don't know if this is allowed or not but I really need a 1st Baritone part of Strike up the Band by Goff Richards. Need it like now for the weekend. Is it legal to fax me a copy on 01738 550197.

If so can someone help please
    Many thanks
    Dave

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    A.s.a.p.
    Strike up the Band
    Goff Richards
    Baritone
    Dave
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

No!

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

So if a band looses one part they have to buy a whole new set - stupid, make a copy when you buy the set and keep it for this sort of situation.

5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

No - you can always ask the publisher for permission to copy a part first. Quite often, the publisher will send you a replacement part FOC, or at least for very little money. That way, you stay legal, and have a full set of genuine parts! ;)

6. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Been i9n touch with Studio Music and they were great - guess what - they are going to fax it over. Very helpful. Many thanks to them

7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

If you buy a pair of socks and lose one.......??

Please don't encourage illegal photocopying :( All publishers will supply a single part.

8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Wear odd ones!! ;-)

Still not sure that would work with a set of parts!!!

9. Are you suggesting playing a different Goff Richards work, or a different Gershwin? Interesting...

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I am NOT in favour of photocopying parts, but I have a problem with many publishers - why do they charge so much for a single part?
    You can buy a set of parts for (let's say) £35, yet a single part can be replaced for a mere £4
    (these are figures I was quoted last year for replacing a couple of parts missing from a wind band set).
    Assuming that the set has 20 parts and a score (it was actually a lot more than this, due to it being from a windband set), that would suggest that it is more expensive to print a single part on its own than it is to print a set. Surely it is just a question of hitting the same button?
    You can photocopy it for 5p, yet the publisher is asking £4 - it is no wonder that people photocopy.

11. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Well, it's because the overheads are the same in both cases. This is why mass production is cheaper than one-off production.

If the publisher is producing via a photocopier (we don't all do that, by the way - mine are printed, for example) then getting the master set off the shelf costs the same for one part or 30 parts, so does invoicing and packing. In the latter case, this fixed cost is spread over 30 parts, in the former, it's all put onto one part.

Economy of scale, I think they call it. It's much cheaper PER COPY to press the button and print 10 than to print one 10 times.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    A.s.a.p.
    Strike up the Band
    Goff Richards
    Baritone
    Dave
  13. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I (briefly) worked in sales and my boss at the time had a saying "profit is not a dirty word". Music publishers, like every other company, are in business to make a profit so of course they will charge for copies. they have overheads to cover and if they don't make a profit they will cease to exist.

I know this sounds like me argueing the opposite case to earlier but hey, it's a free world!