Helloo!! Tenor horn and sax player :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Miss Saxophone, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Miss Saxophone

Miss Saxophone New Member

Hi, I'm new to TMP. I play saxophone in a jazz big band and Tenor horn in a brass and wind band. I am working on grade 7 Tenor horn :)

A quick question, my tenor horn teacher wants me to have a go on french horn after christmas, I would love to but will I manage with a diferent sized mouthpiece?, I currently use a dw3 on my Tenor horn but french horn is quite a bit smaller...

Any thoughts and comments would be much appreciated! :D
  2. monody

monody Member

Some folks use an adapter and play tenor horn with a French horn mouthpiece. I didn't like it when I tried it.

A Wick 5 has a 17.5mm cup diamater which is a very common French horn measurement.

I had a Wick 5 tenor horn 'piece threaded to take PHC rims so that I could play both horns with exactly the same rim.

The result looks like it was built in Frankenstein's shed but it works fine.
  3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I played both for many years - you may find that you will prefer a wider rim french horn mouthpiece, PHC are great.
    BUt remember - French Horn is a very different beast.
    Good luck
  4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I'm sure there are plenty players who play such totally different instruments and manage to adapt to the different size in mouthpiece (alright they are Glyn Williams and James Morrison!). I conducted a band once where the solo horn player played her tenor horn with a french horn mouthpiece - 'twas not good!