Hello!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Louise Martin, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Louise Martin

Louise Martin New Member

I've been playing trumpet/cornet for the past 6 years with school and brass bands. I did my first year of my bachelor's degree last year but I don't feel studying is for me (I'm deferring at the moment but have no intention of going back) but I still enjoy playing. I'm playing with a brass band twice weekly but I'm in a bit of a funk when it comes to practicing daily (or at all).
    Does anyone have ideas/recommendations for sorts of exercises, pieces, studies- anything that could help me get back into the swing of things without and it seeming like a chore? I want to find the joy I used to have in music.

Thank-you so much!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    music.Thank
    years
    brass bands
    recommendations
    sorts of exercises
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I have a friend (who teaches guitar for a living) who said something that really impacted on me recently. Basically he pointed out that the instrument was created as a toy, not for "work" so just play with it as a child would. Sounds simple but if you think about it, why do you do anything in life? (Is it because you think you should, or it is expected or you are trying to please or impress someone else). I love this guy.:).

Jack E and Louise Martin like this.
  4. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Louise!

Further to the advice posted by Mesmerist, above, may I pass on a tip from Pete, an old friend who plays bass trombone, and the wife of one of my tutors, who plays tenor trombone. When you're at home, don't put your cornet in its case.

Leave it out, with your chair, music stand and music all set up. Any time you have even a couple of minutes when you have nothing particular to do, sit down, pick it up and just enjoy playing it! As my friend says, even if you're just waiting for the kettle to boil, or you've got something going in the microwave, that still gives you a few minutes, and it doesn't feel like work; as Pete says, "you're just having a tootle!" Five minutes here, ten minutes there, over the course of a week it adds up to a LOT of playing.

I grant you, if you need to get up to speed on something like 'Rhapsody for Brass', you'll need to put in some concentrated practise, especially on the twiddly bits that cornets get to play. But if a lot of your playing time is just having fun playing with your cornet (as Mesmerist suggested), then your relationship with your cornet, your music and your band is no longer a bread sandwich, it's a jam sandwich with lots of jam and not too much bread!

Needless to say, the reason I can understand your problem so well is . . . I have the same tendency myself! :rolleyes: Ho, hum - as Winston Churchill used to say, "Keep pottering on!" (or words to that effect . . . :cool:)

With best regards,

Jack