Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kat785, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Kat785

Kat785 New Member

Hello everyone. I am a cornet player from Cornwall. Recently moved from back row to front row. :eek: I am currently playing with a Lewington Macann mouth piece but am finding it a struggle in the higher register....... Anyone got any suggestions as to what to replace my bucket with???
  2. John_D

John_D Member

Many people have successfully used a McCann MP on front row, so maybe changing it isn't the answer (and I'd hardly describe it as a bucket ..... I used a DW2 on back row).

The answer is practice ................... lots of it, and your upper range will develop.
  3. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

A lot of front row players use a Wick 4b, it may be worthwhile giving this a go. Practice is the best advice because if you are struggling on a Lewington McCann other mouthpieces will only make a bit of difference. It will take time to get used to playing on the front row, just take things slowly and don't push things too much too soon.
  4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

4b!?!? Madness. Keep on with the McCann, Its a much better mouthpiece!
  5. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

It's all about what suits your playing. The 4b is smaller than the McCann so may be better if you struggle with range or stamina.
  6. Warburton 4BC top and 10* shank
  7. Kat785

Kat785 New Member

Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated. :)
  8. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I was struggling with improving my upper register but practising has helped :) I did also change mouthpiece but not sure if it's had an effect as I wasn;t having to pitch many high notes before! You could try playing lots of low notes as well as high notes as it will improve your upper register. One thing you could do is try going below bottom F#, and taking in lots of air to support the note - I was told that if you can get a G, you can get an A (and if you can get an A, you can get a B.. and so on..) because they require the about same amount of pressure and air support.
  9. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Don't change simply for higher register and let your tone go.