Hello there!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bill Beazley, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Bill Beazley

Bill Beazley New Member

Hey people! Just signed in here hoping I can learn more about brass instruments since I'm studying to be a composer! Hope I can also help with what I already know :).

[]'s

Bill

2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Hi Bill, I play EEb bass (tuba), thats a large brass instrument which as its name suggests, provides the bass line to the ensemble that is called a "brass band"
    When composing pieces involving this instrument please keep to fairly simple keys - Concert Eb, Bb and D for example would be acceptable.

Welcome :D

3. Bill Beazley

Bill Beazley New Member

Thanks a lot!

I liked it how you introduced yourself and your instrument all at once. Can I ask a couple of questions about it?
    What is the range of the EEb bass?
    Why is it called that? Does it have anything to do with the instrument's pitch?

[]'s

Bill

4. steve butler

Bill, I'm happy to help:D
    The range of the EEb bass is without limits, in the hands of an expert (not I he modestly reveals) it can go from a super-duper Fb right down to a rather disgusting double pedal G#.
    Apparently its called an EEb bass because its in the key of Eb (so I'm told) and is usually played by dodgy characters of a very base nature.
    Some practicioners of this art that contribute to this forum, are indeed VERY base characters!

5. Bill Beazley

Bill Beazley New Member

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the response!

So, the range you mean is this:
    [​IMG]

If that, however, is the range on the hands of an expert, what is the "safe zone" range, in which any average player will be able to play?

I didn't quite get the name yet. If it's in the key of Eb, shouldn't it be called the Eb bass?

Thanks a lot :D

Bill

6. steve butler

Ooh no, at least an octave higher than that!
    The safe zone would be about a semi-tone lower/ higher :D
    Its called an EEb bass to keep it in line with the orchestral "double bass" :wink:

7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hello from a trombone player.

8. steve butler

Cmon Ant. Describe the damn thing for Mr Beazley! :wink:

9. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

the trombone or the bass? Out of the two the Bass is the damned one! :clap::biggrin:

10. Bill Beazley

Bill Beazley New Member

Wait a second! Are you telling me this is the EEb bass range?

[​IMG]

Or is it an octave higher on the low end?

Hey, you got me curious now. How many types of tuba are there? I know the "regular" tuba (I mean the ones normally used in orchestras) and the sousaphone (can I say it's a type of tuba?) - and now a little bit about the EEb bass :D. Searching around the web I found several similar instruments with several different names, and they all got me :confused:. Can you tell me the general types or families there are?

Hello Hells Bones! I'd really like it if you could talk a bit about your instrument to me.;)

Thanks!

Bill

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    people
    composer
    brass instruments
    sBill
    Hope
  12. steve butler

I'm afraid I can't tell you about OTHER instruments, the other girls on here can fill you in.

I do also play th EEEb Sousaphone - which you 'can' say is a type of tuba - its just having a bit of an identity crisis. Mine has a 26" bell end by the way.

Some people call the euphonium a tuba, but its really just an instrument for under-developed beings (mentally and physically). I'll see if I can get our secret (orange) agent to send you some info.

13. Bill Beazley

Bill Beazley New Member

Ooh, now I understood why I wasn't being able to get the instrument's name!

You see, I'm not a native speaker, so I'm not familiarised with that designation :(. How does it work? Is EEEb one octave lower than EEb?

Why is the euphonium an instrument for underdeveloped people?

Thanks,

Bill

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member