Hello! I Am Mr Thicky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Well I must be because I can't understand why some players warm up before a concert by blowing hot air through their instruments (apart from silly percussionists of course) while others choose to blow the darn thing straight and some just sit there non chalanteley not doing anything at all.

What is the proper etiquette?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Thicky
    instruments
    concert
    hot air
    Mr Thicky
  3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Well hello there Mr. Thicky...

Etiquette is whatever makes you feel better. Warm your instrument up, don't warm your instrument up. Does it matter? :rolleyes:
    BMB
    xx

4. Robhibberd29

I was hoping for some guidance in chastising people who blow the bell ends off while sat in front of an audience waiting to start a concert to be honest! I mean, surely, there has got to be some form of "unwritten" rule like when you go to the urinals and you don't stand beside another bloke unless you have to.

5. bigmamabadger

Ah, I see. No, once you're sat in front of an audience there should be silence. All warming up/not warming up should be done in the green room beforehand. To warm up in front of an audience is merely rude.
    BMB
    xx

6. Robhibberd29

Bearing this in mind, would it be acceptable to give said people a scutch round the ear or do you think re inserting their mouth piece in a totally different orifice would be more appropriate?

7. bigmamabadger

Again, such behaviour should be kept to the green room. To mutilate other players in front of the audience would be discoureous to say the least.
    It also depends on whether they are bigger than you.
    BMB
    xx

8. bigmamabadger

actually it would probably be best to bring it up at a rehearsal, in a calm and non-judgemental manner. Maybe come to some kind of consensus...
    BMB
    xx

9. Robhibberd29

I thought it might add a new dimension to a Brass concert. You know, open it up to a wider audience.How many threads has there been about "re inventing" brass concerts? That's that one ticked off.

I think the nearest thing Ive seen in a concert to this would be the unlikely yet inevitable "falling off the stage whilst backing your chair up" routine.

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Well if warming up in front of the audience is acceptable in the worlds top orchestras why should we worry.

11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I was going to point that out too, although if you follow that line of thought you would then have to have a tuning up session in front of the audience as well :eek:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Thicky
    instruments
    concert
    hot air
    Mr Thicky
  13. bigmamabadger

But we are not orchestras. We are better than that. :p
    Frankly, all that warming up in front of the audience is just saying "hey look at me, I'm really important" and it's the only chance the 2nd bassoon will get to be heard...
    BMB
    xx

14. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

lol, that is so true and don't forget it gives the Trumpets a chance to blast as high and loud as they can before settling down to play a few tonic and dominant notes along with the timpani. It also allows the trombones to play instead of counting bars rest!!!

15. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I am confused, when you say Orchestra's warming up do you mean tuning up?
    I have watched a few orchestras, pro and amateur and I have never seen any of them actually warmimg up on stage.
    They tune up yes, there is a specific reason for that, but not a full warm up.
    All you tend to get is a concert A from each instrument and then the conductor comes on.

I Edit, I have once seen an orchestra warm up onstage, it was at a musical, there was only one entrance into the pit and the orchestra had to be in the pit before the audience was allowed in the auditorium so they had to warm up whilst in the pit and on show.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Dear oh dear! what a sheltered life some of you dyed in the wool, flat cap wearing,whippet breeding, tripe slurping clowns seem to lead!

Have any of you ever been to west end show? a symphony concert? an opera performance? Its total bedlam from the orchestra pit or the concert platform right up to when the leader of the ochestra comes in. No they are NOT tuning up!! that normally happens after the leader arrives or on instruction from the conductor.

This brass band custom of total silence when on the stand has more to do with giving petty officialdom a purpose in life by enforcing the rule. It is also a symptom of the Brass band obsession generally with rules and regulations

Bigmamabadgers suggestion that the only purpose of warming up on stage is to say ""hey look at me, I'm really important" is ridiculous. I think if you are a member of the LSO or the Berlin Philharmonic its sort of taken for granted that you are "important".

17. Robhibberd29

Yey I'm impotent!.........Mind you that means warming up on stage wouldn't do me any good then........

18. bigmamabadger

Calm down dear, it's not a commercial...
    I stand by my statement. The audience haven't paid to hear me attempting to get that bit at bar 152 right, or get the spit out of my instrument, or to check I'm in tune with the tubular bells, whether I play for the Sprocket Fettlers and Flange Knappers Co-operative Silver Band (est. 1873) or the Boston Pops. Just because these people do something doesn't make it polite.
    If it's not right before you walk out there, it sure as hell ain't going to be right aferwards
    Excuse me I must feed the tripe and put the whippet on to boil.
    Badger - in awe at the sense of cosmopolitan sophistication engendered by writing about orchestras...
    xx

19. Robhibberd29

Ignore the nasty man BMB he's from Derby, that's how sophisticated he is!

I personally think there should be some sort of "unwritten rule" to this, if we're going to remain silent on stage before starting, let's all do it. If not watch out cos I'll blast yer ears off if your playing horn/euph and sat in front of me.We could have a blastin contest before the concert for real starts.Mind you, that sounds like a concert I attended recently.

I've found one very good reason for sitting in silence before starting the repertoire.When you do start it scares the bejesus out of em.Did one gig in Brussels in a rather dreary market square.You should have seen the tramp jump awake out of the bench when we started playing after setting up around him while he was asleep.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

You lost me there duck, I dont recall suggesting I was advertising anything. Neither do I recall suggesting it was good or bad manners to warm up on the stand.Further, I do not recall suggesting that warming up on stage is a way of making up for a lack of private rehearsal time.

Also I dont believe its possible to play for an outfit called "The Boston Pops" The Boston pops is a specific type of concert featuring light music and is performed by members of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra.

So, apart from all that, your post was a model of cogent intelligent discourse.

21. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

You make me blush with your flattery regarding my alleged "cosmopolitan sophistication" but really its no more than what I would call an elementary, basic musical education, but thanks all the same.

22. bigmamabadger

I see modern culture passes you by. :rolleyes: Although even I, as a Northen iconoclast hestitate to describe Michael Winner as cultural. Do try to keep up.
    Boston Pops Orchestra...

Gosh isn't it getting toasty and warm in here?
    BMB
    xx