Hello from a new player

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by B.Portas, Jul 27, 2012.

1. B.Portas

B.Portas Member

Hi everyone,

Just a quick thread to introduce myself; I'm Bryn, and I'm a 20 year old music student at Hull University (Scarborough Campus). After playing guitar for 9 years or so, in various genres, and attaining grade 8 standard, my girlfriend (who has extensive experience in banding) introduced me to tenor horn, which I found a bit too small, and struggled to hit any note above a written G in stave. A chance trip to a local music shop saw me pick up and, with the help of a friend, restore, a Boosey and Hawkes "Oxford" Baritone, which I've barely put down since, progressing in 2 months to grade 3 standard.

In the few months I have been playing, I have realised that this is something I will continue forever. Despite only picking it up aged 20, meaning I won't ever really excel at brass, as my girlfriend has, the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment is the main reason that I love brass enough to stick it out for the rest of my life.

On an unrelated note, I am currently looking to upgrade my mouthpiece, from the old, no-name one that I got free with my instrument. Has anyone had any experience with the Denis Wick SM baritone/small shank euphonium range, in either ultra or classic, and willing to share their thoughts on them?

Best regards,

Bryn

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    Bryn
    Hull University
    Scarborough Campus
    girlfriend
  3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Hi Bryn and welcome to both tMP and brass banding, and may you get a lifetime of pleasure from it as you hope to do.
    As far as mouthpieces are concerned, there are many different opinions around and no doubt there will be many offered, but at the end of the day, it is what suites you that matters the most.
    A lot of us quite often finish up trying many different types, no matter what your instrument, in my case cornet, but after amassing a collection of about eight or nine different makes and numbers, I settled on two favourites depending on the band I am playing with and the music styles played. I can only talk about cornet mouthpieces which of course will be no use to you, so I will leave that to those who can offer deeper advice regarding the baritone.

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Hi Bryn,

I didn't start playing a brass instrument, in a band, until I was about 17. I have a Grade 8 on a non brass instrument, so I think your previous musical experience will be of great use. Can't help you as to the perfect bari mp, as I am a Bass Player, but try before you buy, and make sure you like the feel and sound.

LBB