hello from a brass band newbee

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by fwtimp, Dec 28, 2007.

1. fwtimp

fwtimp New Member

Hello all,

Enjoyed reading a long discussion about the tenor horn and decided to join the site! My name is Eric Schweikert and I am Principal Timpanist of the Fort Wayne Philharmonic in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA. Earlier in the year our principal tuba player, Sam Gnagey, and myself talked about how nice it would be to have a brass band here in Fort Wayne. We decided to make talk reality and started one. We are called the Old Crown Brass Band (www.ocbb.8k.com) and will play our first program of holiday music on January 8, 2008(original date of Dec. 16 was snowed out!) Already being a professional timpanist/percussionist I decided it would be more interesting to explore my hobby interest in brass and chose the tenor horn. Bought an old B & H Regent off ebay in June and have been practicing Arban's like mad since! Currently covering the solo horn book in the band (yikes!). Have about thirty folks participating in the band with all parts being covered. Everyone seems to be having a good time, which was the whole point! Would love to get a better horn which is what brought me to the site. LOTS of opinions there! Just the kinds of information I was looking for.

Regards,

Eric Schweikert (fwtimp)

2. Di

Di Active Member

Hi Eric and :hi to tMP.

What an achievement to get a new band up and running! :clap: All the very best of luck with your first concert and with your venture on to the horn. We'll very much look forward to hearing how it all goes.

:tup

3. fireborn

fireborn Member

Eric, Well done. That's brilliant - starting up a brass band AND taking on the tenor horn from scratch. Good on ye. And all the best!!! :clap:

4. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Hello Eric :)

5. fwtimp

fwtimp New Member

Thank you everyone for your kind welcome! If anyone has timpani/percussion questions or issues I will certainly do my best to help.

I have an old mouthpiece stamped: R.S.Kitchen Ltd. -Leeds
    Does anyone know anything about that company? Couldn't find anything about it doing a google search.

-Eric

6. Roycoater

Roycoater New Member

R S Kitchen in Leeds were a music shop rather than a manufacturer as far as I know. Am almost certain they have closed down now though

7. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Hiya and :hi to tmp!

8. Roycoater

Roycoater New Member

Thanks for the Welcome Emzie :guiness --- Cheers sweetheart

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Unless that's Leeds in kent, which I doubt - they almost certainly have.

I live in Leeds myself, and it's not a name I'm familiar with. Emailing the Leeds local history library might shed a little light on it if you're interested?

Well done on starting a band up, and congrats on taking up brass playing as opposed to percussionism. An achievement in itself!

10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Eric, you asked this question back in December!! Follow the link below for the information . . . .

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31113

;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Fort Wayne
    Eric Schweikert
    H Regent
    Fort Wayne Philharmonic
    Indiana
  12. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Eric great to have you on board and what a great acheivement to get your band off the ground, i take it there is a lot of enthusiasm for your band?? What music are you playing/rehersing at the moment? Ta Dave

13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Hello Eric,

Always nice to have another band in the midwest.

Give a hollar if you need a helping hand from (relatively) nearby in Columbus, OH.

Hope to meet you at either the Ohio Brass Arts Festival (Columbus, March 7-9), or North American Brass Band Championships (Louisville Area, Mar 28-29).

14. karen1977

karen1977 New Member

Hi Eric

Well done for starting a new band and taking the step of swapping instruments. :clap: I may take you up on the offer of answering questions etc on percussion/timps as like you I swapped instruments but I went the other way, from cornet to percussion.

Just in case you haven't found anything yet, RS Kitchen Ltd was a company which was founded in 1875 to repair the instruments of brass bands in the North of England.

Karen

15. Blonde_Mudd

Blonde_Mudd New Member

Hello there people,

Just doing what it says and writing my first ever post....

See ya later! x

16. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

LOL Blonde Mudd, nice name!!! You were having a blonde moment I take it! Newbie's usually post on their own thread, not someone else's.

I'll let you off as you played so well in Skeggie lol!!!! :biggrin:

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

No, make the newbie suffer!

18. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Newbie Blonde Mudd

Nice to welcome another newbie!!!! and i like those blonde moments lol im sure you will find the site adictive a bit like playing really,make sure you take a full part,and we will get lots of replys back to you Ta Dave

19. Blonde_Mudd

Blonde_Mudd New Member

how lovely of you chunky! dont forget i know where you rehearse! dont make me come over there and cause havoc!

20. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Hi Blonde-mudd!

Good to see you on board!

21. millie6589

millie6589 Member

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Fort Wayne
    Eric Schweikert
    H Regent
    Fort Wayne Philharmonic