Hello and trombone advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fatty_aloo, Mar 28, 2008.

1. fatty_aloo

fatty_aloo New Member

Hello there.
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum to be asking this, but you all seem like you know what your talking baout.

I am a tubist without a tuba who is looking to start playing brass again. I last playeed about 10 years ago when I was part of my county youth brass band (Bb Bass) and euph/baritone in a college concert band. I didn't have room for a Tuba when I went away for Uni, so I stopped playing. Now I find my self in London withthe desire to play brass again. I play bass guitar in rock and jazz bands a fair bit too and feel I could compliment this with some brass there. I won't be able to afford a tuba, and don't really think that euphonium is really versitile enough for the other non brass band things I do, and so I thougth I'd try the tombone for size. Now I'm interestedin buying a new 'bone as I figured a good way to keep me motivated would be with a nice shiney new intrument. I had pretty much decided on the Yamaha student model (354 I think off the top of my head) but then read on here about the John Packer own brand instuments. Now what I'd like to know is are these trombones any good, as they seem to have rave review (admittedly on the John Packer website) and are consideraly cheaper than the Yamaha. I was looking at either this one or this one.
    What are the packer intruments like, compared to say Yamaha student models? And how useful would an F-key be, especially out side of the brass band setting?

In addition, how might a rusty bloke like me, on a new instrument find a band playing interesting and contempory music in London???

thanks for your time.Any comments would be brilliant
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hi! Welcome to our wonderful world. Anoraks are optional but we don't discriminate!

There is a very useful thread already on this forum called 'What trombone do you play' but it is geared more towards professional instruments. There are a number of student quality instruments around a varying prices. The John Packer ones, as well as a number of other brands such as Virtuosi, Bentley etc. are all Chinese made. That's not to say they aren't decent instruments, though! I've tried a few Virtuosi ones and can honestly say that they represent great value for money and are as good as any student instrument about. I think the JP ones are from similar origins. You might want to have a look at the student model ones from Bach and Holton as a good alternative. The bloke behind Virtuosi is a member of this forum (Shawneuph) and is a jolly nice bloke to boot. I'm sure he will be able to find something to suit your needs and your pocket!

I would certain recommend the Yamaha if that's what you fancy. Even on their student instruments, the workmanship is excellent and the quality control is second-to-none.

Best of luck with your trombone playing - I hope you get lots of satisfaction out of playing a proper instrument :biggrin:
  3. Bones

Bones Member

Couldn't agree more. The quality on the foreign instruments have improved so much in later years that for the weekend warrior they present a more than viable option. As for Virtuosi/First Brass they also stock some healthy looking 2nd hand instruments occasionally as well.

Best of luck
  4. fatty_aloo

fatty_aloo New Member

Thanks for the welcome and advice, and apologies for the rotten english in my initial post. It's the afternoon after the night before, things are a little slow if you know what I mean.

I was a little worried about buying a no-name instrument, as experience I've had with friend's chinese made guitars has been shocking. Glad to hear that passable ones can be found. Hmmm, I think I will go for one of the better cheaper trombones, as then I'll have some cash left over so that I might be able to buy yamaha silent brass mute (the joys of a shared house means that I may not get away with being rubbish on the trombone for very long before I get the intrument wrapped round my head).

"weekend warrior", I like that.
  5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Would you be happier with a valve trombone??
  6. fatty_aloo

fatty_aloo New Member

I did think about a valve trombone, but then I quite liked the idea of learning how to play with a slide.
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Me too, and it still eludes me after all this time!