Hello and advise please.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by john555, Jul 2, 2011.

1. john555

john555 New Member

Hello All.

I'm 21 and haven't played an instrument for about 10 years (I had piano lessons for a while). Recently i've been thinking about learning a brass instrument. I think i've narrowed it down to euphonium or trombone. Has anybody got any advise on choosing what to play and good beginner instruments that aren't too expensive.

2. John_D

John_D Member

Many brass bands have learner groups and are able to loan you an instrument. If you let us know where you are, you will probably get loads of offers.
  3. john555

john555 New Member

Thanks, i'm in Macclesfield. I'll get in contact with a local band.
  4. _si

_si Member

You might just be in luck :)
    Rode Hall Silver band are local to macclesfield, and are looking for a Baritone/Euph player. We have instruments that you can use, we also have a training band where you can practice and learn in your own time for an hour a week with free tuition.
    Our MD also lives in Macc :)
    Steve Twemlow (Band Manager) on 07785992041
    John Callister (MD) on 07729272299
  5. john555

john555 New Member

Thanks Si, sorry about the late response. Congleton is a bit of a trek for me but I understand John Callister teaches in Macc so i'll give him a try.
  6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Hiya, I used to live in Macc!! Don't know your age or if you aware that Macclesfield does have its youth band and teaches. I have often heard them rehearse over the canal near from the Puss n Boots during those summer evenings. I'm sure if you get in contact, they can put you in the right direction also!
  7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Just noticed your age at the beginning of the post!!:hammer
  8. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Trentham Brass have a training and intermediate band and probably an instrument for you to learn on, plus a great opportunity to join the senior band at some point! PM me if you'd like some more details.

As for the choosing an instrument, I know a lot of people don't find this a priority, but suiting an instrument to your potential embouchure might be a good idea (small mouth/lips = smaller instrument and vice-versa essentially).

In any case, good luck!