Hebden Bridge Junior Band...flooded...would like some advice on cleaning instruments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jim_HBJB, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Jim_HBJB

Jim_HBJB New Member

Hi All,
    Several of us from Hebden Bridge Junior Band have just spent the day clearing out our band room after the floods. A lot of our stuff has been soiled with flood water. We would like to get the instruments that have been soiled back into use asap. We think they will need disinfecting with something stronger than soap and water...can anyone offer some advice
    Thanks, Jim
  2. james edwards

james edwards New Member

Hi , Jim
    I am sorry to hear about the flooding,but to clean brass on the bacterial level would require some medical grade anti bacterial soap and coat a snake brush in the soap, coat the valve casings and tubes with the soap and then wash out the impurities with a high pressure hose.
    I hope you and other band members are coping with the flood damage ok

James Edwards :)
  3. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Sorry to hear about this. Good luck for the future and hope you get everything sorted!
  4. pbirch

pbirch Member

this might require trip to a repair place that does ultrasonic cleaning, I would think that if these instruments are going back into the hands of children then the clean up should be done professionally
    james edwards likes this.