Heavytop Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by LukasAndersen, Nov 23, 2010.

1. LukasAndersen

LukasAndersen New Member

I've been thinking about buying a Denis Wick Heavytop Mouthpiece for my BE928 Sovereign Cornet.... does anyone use one and would they recommend it? I've heard it helps in higher registers but how much does it help...and how does it handle low registers?

Thanks for the help...(if you actually help me) :biggrin:
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Big can of worms with heavytops or bach megatones (or whatever else). There's no doubt that the outside shape and mass of a mouthpiece makes a difference. If you believe the hype, it does wonders, but if you're cynical, it does nothing!

I think the general consensus is that the extra mass gives you more control in the louder dynamics, but I do find that this comes at a price and your quiet playing might suffer. If you think about the physics, you are reducing the amount of vibration in the mouthpiece, but that vibration is simply transferred elsewhere.

I think that the best way is to try out a DW booster. They are relatively cheap and will give you the feel of a heavytop without the outlay. That way you can decide whether or not you like what it does before buying a heavytop.

I used a Wick 4AL with a booster for quite some time and found it to be a very good 1st trombone mouthpiece combination. I'm back on a Schilke 51D now - there's an amount of mass in the body but not too much to stifle quiet playing and the rim shape is better for me.

Best to try out as many as you can - good luck!
  3. LukasAndersen

LukasAndersen New Member

Thanks I thought of getting a booster but wasn't sure on how well it would work...but I will take your word for it! As my director always tells my to play quieter on some pieces so I think that a booster would be smartest as it also can be taken off! I can always give it to my girlfriend (she's assist. principal I'm principal) if I don't like it! :D
  4. John_D

John_D Member

I bought a secondhand DW booster off ebay. Seems to work for me on sop with a DW S mouthpiece. Easily removed and put onto a DW 4B or DW4 when I play Bb cornet.
    If I ever decide to sell it I know I can always put it back on ebay and sell it for, more or less, what I paid for it.
  5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Purely from my experiences with an assortment of mouthpieces - the heavytop was great if I wanted to pump up the volume, but for quiter playing I preferred a natural mouthpiece.
    Then I tried the Heritage and haven't looked back - better (and much easier) quiet playing and also allowed me control at upper dynamic levels.
  6. Blagger

Blagger Member

I tried a DW heavy top and it did help projection and loud dynamics - but I found the lack of feedback on the lips a problem when trying to play quiet passages
    Give it a go - if only in front of your practice stand .............