Heavy Top DW Mouthpieces?????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rgdunning, Oct 30, 2007.

1. rgdunning

rgdunning Member

Hiya all un sundry!!! I need some help in sorting this little jem out!!! Are the Heavy top mouthpieces made by Denis Wick any better than the normal ones???? :rolleyes:
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Depends what you mean by better. In general, if a mouthpiece has more mass, you can play louder before the sounds breaks up. Conversely they are more difficult to play on at the quieter dynamics. You might want to consider one, I know Widd likes a loud band...........
  3. rgdunning

rgdunning Member

Your right emperor Widds does like it loud but not at the loss of quality!!! Us bone players do have to back off a bit to let the rest of the band be herd;) There are just so many mouthpieces out there now that i think ya could get quite lost and well out off pocket trying to find one that suits ya!
    Keep Sliding........
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I have been lucky enough to try out a few Heavytops before Denis put them into general production. I find that, although they do alter the sound and feel, you may not necessarily feel that it is an improvement. What the heavytop gives in power, it taketh away in quiet playing! I know some players who use a normal DW most of the time, but switch to a fat one when they feel they need to. A few years back, before he was producing his own mouthpieces, Mick Rath was experimenting with different shapes and sizes of boosters to add to either DW or VB mouthpieces. It might be worth calling him and asking his advice.

Noticeably, Denis has got some new ones out called the 'heritage' series, which are sort-of half way between a standard and a heavytop. You might find that this will give you the extra weight you need, but without losing the warmth.

I had a heavy top 4AL when I was playing tenor trom, but I gave up with it in the end and went back to the original after about 6 weeks. Just never felt comfortable playing, and I seemed to get a nicer warmer sound out of the standard one. Shame really, as it cost a fortune at the time. S'pose its down to personal preference, so just try one and see what you think.
  6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Not specifically just about DW heavytops, but a general discussion on the plusses and minuses is going on in the trombone forum

There's one poster who reckons that by adding washers to the mouthpiece shank you'll get the same effect without spending the dough. Not given it a try yet, so don't know if it works or not.