Heathers Silent Night - a Seasonal treat from my little gal!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 28, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi All

My daughter and I have been having some superb fun this Christmas with all our new gear - and she asked me yesterday evening if she and I could record a version of the ever popular Christmas carol - Silent Night. Of course, I obliged.

So, here in all it's glory is Heathers Christmas treat to you all.

Sure, it's no Katherine Jenkins - but for a first time for Heather (1) singing into a mic and me (2) recording someone singing into a mic - it's something she hoped would put a smile on your faces - either in embarrassment or enjoyment.

Enjoy - or not, as the case may be :)

Heathers Silent Night
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Aww John thats great!!!:tup
    something i'm sure you will treasure for a long time to come:clap:
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

So you are after my job, then :tongue:
  4. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Awww that's so cute!!!!! It's better than I could sing....
  5. TheMusicMan

Ahem... Errrm... with such magnificent recording skills such as those I displayed in that recording - somehow I don't think so Keith :)

Home dabbling only for me.:tup
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Something to embarrass her with in later years! :biggrin: :tongue: My parents have got a few of those......

TIMBONE Active Member

:) superb
  8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Awwwwhhhhhh!! John she's gorgeous! That was beautiful! :D
  9. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

She's quite a good singer actually isn't she! :clap:

How old is she now??
  10. TheMusicMan

Ta Vic, she's 9 :)
  11. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Wow, that's brilliant!! I'm impressed! :)
  12. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Wow!!! She certainly doesn't sound it!! Awhh!!

Could she be a future star?? ;):biggrin:
  13. Di

Di Active Member

Look out X-Factor, here comes Heather. :clap:
  14. ju33les

ju33les Member

:clap: :clap: :clap:
    That is absolutely fantastic!
    That would do well as an internet download, you know...............Leona Lewis who??

Loved it.....kisses for Heather-------> XXXXXXXXXXX
  15. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Fantastic John & not forgeting Heather:clap:
  16. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

That made my day - she was so lovely - something to treasure indeed.

17. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

:clap: Wow, Thats Fantastic shes got a fantastic voice!
    how cute is that awww!:clap: :tup
  18. Lovely - really enjoyed that. Well done Heather
  19. Bigenglandfan

Bigenglandfan Member

Very cute, I enjoyed that.

On a technical front, what equipment were you using John, I fancy having a go myself!
  20. TheMusicMan

Oooh, now if ever there were a question that was going to grab my attention - this was it, hehehe!! :) So, as you asked...

For the actual sound on the track I used 3 patches/layers of a Virus TI Synth programmed as a Multi/Combination, such that I only had to record one audio backing track - and not three. (If you are interested in which three patches, I shall have to go back to the synth and check) Anyway, Heather and I played around on the synth for 15 mins or so until we came up with a layered sound that she and I both liked - ending up with the sort of Vangelis[esque] type sound heard. I then recorded the backing track straight from one pair of the Virus TI outputs into a stereo pair on the mixer, playing three verses exactly as you hear. No post processing or EQ of this was done at all - the TI Synth is awesome - what you hear on the track is exactly what came out of the synth - wrong notes and all :)

Heather then used a standard mic to record her voice which I sent directly into a mono channel on the same Yamaha MW12 mixing deck. I don't have a sound booth hehehehe, so I played the synth track back to her through headphones so the mic wouldn't pick this up. She sang!!

I used Cubase Studio 4 to record and balance both tracks. I used a Korg VST reverb plug-in for her voice, then mixed down to audio (wav), then used Lame to convert to MP3 for placing on the web.

How's that :)