Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by caramelbunny, Oct 10, 2006.

1. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Just wondering if anyone uses hearing aids?....and if so, any opinions on the pros and cons? :)

Have recently been on ENT placement in hospital and have learned that there's a type of hearing aid called a 'bone anchored hearing aid' that can be used for certain types of single-sided deafness....the surgeon thinks I could be a good candidate for the op :)

Thing is, I've survived 25years with just the one, and I wonder if it's a case of 'you don't miss what you've never had'....or is it a case of 'i don't know what i'm missing'? :confused:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ENT
    Hearing Aids
    type of hearing aid
    certain types of single-sided deafness
    good candidate
  3. MartinT

MartinT Member

There was a thread about hearing problems some time ago which you might find of interest - see http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2938&page=2&highlight=hearing .

I use a couple of over-the-ear digital "filtering" (as opposed to "adaptive") aids, as supplied these days by the NHS. The local audiology department at the hospital set them up specially for me so that on one of the settings there is a minimum of filtering - I use this as a "music" setting, and playing in the band works OK with it on this setting. There's an article by a Canadian audiologist called Marshall Chasin which has some very helpful advice on hearing aids for musicians: the guy kindly sent me a copy, which I can email you if you PM me your email address. You may well find that your consultant isn't aware of the research that went into it - mine wasn't until I showed it to him.

As for the question of "one or two?", I find using two is a vast improvement over using one. Essentially everything is much better balanced, and I find this an aid to clarity in the music.

I believe that since I had my present aids fitted, the NHS has moved towards supplying "adaptive" digital aids, the type that detect the background noise and then mask it out. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has experience of playing music while using these.

I'm afraid I have no experience of the bone-conductivity type of fitting, which I think you're describing: I imagine that they're available with the same amplification/filtering/adaptive technology that applies to in-the-ear and over-the-ear aids.

Hope some or all of this is helpful.

4. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Thanks for the reply :)

Checked out the other thread and it's slightly different to my circumstances as I have congenital senso-neural deafness (i.e. been completely deaf that side since I was born)....I am however a bass player so wonder if that's started to effect the other side :rolleyes:

The bone-anchored hearing aid is where (as I understand it) theydrill a screw into the skull to transmit electrical impulses to the auditory nerve of my good ear....you can clip on or off the little hearing aid box bit to this screw then.

I know it sounds vain but aside from the risks of having any op, one of the things that worries me most is that I may have a patch of baldness where the screw would be and although I have long hair I'd worry that people could see it.

Apparently there's a device that works on a head band that I can borrow for a few days to see what it's like to be able to hear from both sides before I committ to having the op....am all excited about trying this out!! :D

5. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

post-trial

ok, so I've had the headband thing for the last week & I have to say it's amazing :)

Took it to Treorchy contest to road-test some band stuff and it makes a world of difference being able to hear both sides of a band.....

Highly recommend anyone who has single-sided deafness to ask their doctor if they're suitable for a BAHA :D

Personally don't think am gona go ahead with the op as have decided my deafness is just one of my quirky little things and I just wouldn't be me if I didn't get the wrong end of the stick all the time :rolleyes:.....

but for those who have lost hearing for whatever reason, definately give it a go!!!

6. MartinT

MartinT Member

Tell me about it! :)

7. the_drew

the_drew New Member

what?

what....?

hello...?

did somebody say something....?

8. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

OOOOOOOOO someone feeling funny today!?

9. BrianT

BrianT Member

Is anyone out there trying pre-emptively to reduce the risk of hearing damage by wearing hearing protection? I've used both industrial hearing protectors and plugs specifically aimed at musicians. The thing is, it's much harder to play in tune with the ensemble with plugs in because they take the high harmonics off the sound. Also there's the really disconcerting sound you get conducted through your skull to your ears - it's there the whole time, but usually the room sound masks it. You hear the sound of your tongue moving. Also, they're a bit conspicuous (specially if you sit on an end seat). Also it's hard to hear pianissimos or judge your own volume. In their favour you don't lie in bed after a band practice with your ears whistling...

I think I'd like some sort of active, sound-cancelling plugs, which hard-limit when the sound exceeds a certain volume but cannot be heard the rest of the time. Do these exist?

10. MartinT

MartinT Member

Yes, I do have some money today.

Err... sorry, isn't that what you said? ;)

11. MartinT

MartinT Member

Hmmm... I think you're describing a hearing aid!

Seriously, provided the earpiece was made to fit your ear, as is normally done with hearing aids, then a couple of aids like mine set to pass sound through at the actual "outside" level, but with peak input filtering in place, might do the trick.

Trouble is, the NHS wouldn't do it for you, I'm certain :frown:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ENT
    Hearing Aids
    type of hearing aid
    certain types of single-sided deafness
    good candidate
  13. MartinT

MartinT Member

14. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member