Healing Ministries

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunky, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

On Friday and Saturday night I was working at Carrow Road Stadium where the Benny Hinn Miracle Crusade was taking place.

This guy had 18,000 people there each night to watch him on Jesus' behalf 'perform miracles'

He claimed he healed over those 2 nights people with cancer, autism, arthiritis, parkinsons disease and so the list goes on.

The people who had been healed were asked to come on stage and explain how they had been healed by the power of jesus.

Now I have no problem, within reason of people believing in whatever they want to believe in and feel comfortable with. And if you believe you have been healed and your life improves that is fantastic.

But when you see some of these 'healed people' leaving the ground back in their wheelchairs it makes you wonder about the morality of the guy. Even more so when he received (allegedly) £ 250,000 in donations on Friday night alone.

As I say I have no problems with peoples beliefs but cannot understand how all these people get taken in. Perhaps my mind is just too narrow and tiny.
  2. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Sometimes people believe what they want to believe rather than following logic.

I have not read the bible, nor do I intend to, but I dont recall ever hearing that Jesus himself accepted donations?
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

It's called the "power of suggestion", one which is also used on stage by hypnotists too. A quick google brough up this.

Under certain conditions - notably under some form of psychological pressure or having a desire for something 'unreal', people will actually do, and admit to, all manner of things.:rolleyes:
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Exactly and I think this is where I have the problem. People are donating vast sums ( I saw at least 2 people hand over cheques for £ 500) in awe and wonder of what they had seen. Then they see people leave in the same wheelchairs they came in with and they don't ask for their money back?

Thanks for that John. I also think that they way this guy whips up the crowd adrenalin kicks in which can be a reliever of pain albeit temporarily.

My main problem is they guy is possibly a fraud making an absolute fortune out of gullible people. I know this happens all over the world but when he uses children on stage as examples and does it in the name of religion, that for me stinks.

btw I did not donate my wages for the 2 days!!
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well you know what they say, The Lord works in mysterious ways...just these days he has a £500 call out fee apparently.

It saddens me to think that people would use someone's heartfelt religious beliefs to cash in on their mysery and desperation. Although for me, religion has never been anything more than a way of doing that anyway.
  6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Perhaps the call out fee depends on the strength of miracle required!

As for the cashing in, I was prepared to keep an open mind about it all, but not anymore.
  7. 2nd man down

there's a thought

Blind?? Ooh, that'll be 300 nicker I'm afraid, it's a sight thing darling, my hands ar tied.

Bit mutt and Jeff are ya?? *shouts* THAT'S AN EASY ONE, JUST 200 NOTES TO YOU MATE!!

LEPRACY?!?!?? JEEZ!! That's a 500 quid one that guv'nor, oops, no don't let your jaw drop, I might not be able to get it back on!
  8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

lmao mate !!! Any discount for group ailments?
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You could always donate to your favourite forum, you know the one that helps heals tired embouchures in times of need, allows you to create wonderful relationships with ones instrument (;) ), and generally does a good job of bringing people together.... awwww bless...:)
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There can be great problems over the question of faith healing, particularly if people link their illness in their mind with being "bad" or a failure in other terms. If people genuine believe they will be, or have been, healed and then relapse, they can be left with tremendous feelings of guilt.

As a Christian, I do believe in the power of prayer, and have seen remarkable things happen, but I also believe that the "miracle" can also come in the form of enabling the sufferer to come to terms with their illness (as with Dean, our sop player at Hadleigh who is soon to meet his maker) and I am certainly very wary of linking healing with any appeals for funds.
  11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

To be fair 'the offering' was taken before he started bringing people up on the stage so he did not collect directly after the miracles were shown.

You have made a great point Peter in so much as where will this guy be if these people do relapse.

Of course what happens when a person goes back to the consultant who tells them their illness has not gone, who do they believe and where do they turn to then.
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This is a very tricky subject area concerning belief systems that give hope and optimism to our daily lives. What we don't understand we tend to attach some governing body of superior existence for it's control and destiny! Over the history of man we have developed theories and explanations of how we live and die which includes both (temporal) religion and (concrete) scientific discovery (... try this theory of Michael Talbot for instance http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic.html , in his book he claimed that subjects could reverse by thought alone the growth of cancer). I feel what people are touching on here is maybe the idea of cures by laymen for those troubled by psychosomatic illness (... physical symptoms caused by emotions or stress). Some of this group can have enough belief to eradicate the roots of their problems using a well-known practicioner. What is worrying is the diagnosed symptoms of others that have terminal or chronic physical illness. There has been cases of spontaneous recovery that deny or kindle belief in individuals, but for someone to claim to be an outright, guaranteed miracle worker has many doubts in my mind. I would have to find and look at reports of people 'cured' when they have been medically diagnosed as having a non-treatable problem and whether they maintained their renewed state of health over time. It could be the case that faith healing could be seen as a variant form of exorcism.

13. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Google "Benny Hinn" and you will come up with some very interesting stuff . Its fair to say that within most established church circles , and indeed also some of the newer charismatic / house church movements that Hinn is treated very warily and with the degree of suspicion that he warrants.

Not only is his "healing ministry" something to be cynical about , but he and his kind preach a "health and wealth" prosperity gospel which to my mind is even more dangerous , along the lines of the more God likes you the more money he is going to send your way , and Hinn and his type display their ostentatious wealth as a sign of God's blessing on their ways . Quite where that leaves the poor carpenter that spent 3 years walking around Palestine without a penny to his name I don't know ...
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:eek: Hope he doesn't have bad breath .... "One of the characteristics of Hinn's services has been his claim to impart the Holy Spirit at will by blowing on people. He has been known to wave his coat in the air, or to toss the Holy Spirit like a baseball at the audience, causing entire sections to ostensibly swoon under the power of God. Obviously God is at Hinn's disposal. And he doesn't mind being made a spectacle in the process."

15. 2nd man down

Well if his breath really was terrible it sure would make them get up and walk again wouldn't it, if only to get away from the stench??
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

heheheheh! If he does have bad breath, so must God! :)
  17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

At the weekend he was touching people on the chin and they were falling backwards in a feint like trance into the arms of his staff.

He did state though that 'if you are not healed tonight, its not my fault'! What a get out clause!

I did google Benny Hinn and found some of the articles very interesting in terms of how cynical other people are of him and his 'powers'
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

19. 2nd man down

Benny Hinn?

Does he come on stage following some little bald guy, walking twice as fast as normal and followed be a procession of scantily clad women??

How does that music go again?

20. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Now that would be some healing!!