Head strain - potentially dangerous?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rambo Chick, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

When I'm playing in the high register, I try to do the correct supporting with breath, embouchure position etc. However I sometimes get so engrossed in trying to do the other twenty things a brass player has to remember/play/concentrate on when playing difficult music for example that that when I'm playing in the high register, its straining my head and I get a slight headache. I'm pretty sure this is unhealthy, but like it said, its when I'm not concentrating fully and poor technique sneaks in.

I was just wondering if any other tMPers had experienced this and do you think it could be dangerous?:confused:
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

yes and don't know.:(

I'm watching this one with interest. :-?
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Wasn't there a thread somewhere that 'dealt' with this (although it can't be definitive because of the subject matter), but it was aimed more at Sop players?
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I remember Julie Gemmell had to give up playing altogether because of this.
  5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

The previous thread Keith mentioned is here

General opinion seems to be, get medical advice, just to be on the safe side.

I used to get regular headaches in the few months that I played sop (many moons ago...), but it's never been a problem on cornet or flugel. So maybe you should consider a move to tenor horn.....
  6. leisa

leisa Active Member

DON'T do it Carolyn, you're too good on flugel to change instruments!!!!!!

I used to a bit when i played cornet, but don't so much anymore. If they are that regular and painful maybe it would be best to get medical advice! x
  7. juliegemmell

juliegemmell New Member

Hi there - gosh I've not been on this website for years and years.

Yeah I had to give up playing sop about 5 years ago due to extreme pressure in my head whilst playing.

I suffered from horrendous pains in my head if I played too high or too loud - but the sensation was more like someone hitting me over the head with a baseball bat! and I would black out for 5 - 10 seconds at a time and lose my balance so unable to walk after rehearsals.

I suffered with this for years and years and pressumed it was normal to experience this pain on soprano.....but little did I know.

If your symptons are like this get to the docs asap....

Fortunately, or should I say...unfortunately, it turns out I have a brain disease called "Arnold Chiari Malformation" which was made alot worse by playing a brass instrument but the disease was NOT caused by playing sop.

Good luck with the playing!!

xx Julie G
  8. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Hi all

Thanks for all your advice:) and your nice comment, Leisa! :oops:

At least I know I'm not imagining the headaches! Its not frequent and I think if I work on my technique it should improve.

Its actually when I'm playing cornet that it happens. I have no problems on flugel. Cornets have a lot more resistance and that doesnt help. I'll see how it goes.

Thank you all!:rolleyes: