Hawkes and Son G Trom

Discussion in 'Classified Advertisements' started by steve butler, Sep 2, 2007.

1. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Hi, hoping someone may be able to help me with putting a value on a "collectors item" G Trom and how best to sell it. It would be ideal to find a buyer on tmp of course.

The engraving on the bell reads;
    Artist's Perfected
    Excelsior Sonorcus
    Class A
    Hawkes and Son
    Denmark Street
    Piccadilly Circus
    LONDON

I think its a G and D (but I'm not too clever with troms)
    The instrument belonged to my dad who bought it off a guy called Norman Beattie back in the 60's. Its in good condition but hasn't been played for years, any advice will be gratefully recieved.

2. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Hello Steve,I have just spoke to Derek Roebuck,who played the G trombone at ferrodo and Brighouse and he says that this instrument will be a straight G .Brighouse bought a G and D for him in the late sixties but he preferred the sound of the straight G.The bad news is that when the G was replaced with the b flat and f, the G s were selling at a fiver, instrument dealers were buying them and converting them into sackbutts.Derek has a collection of G troms and says he has never paid more than fifty quid for one, so don t give up the day job yet!

3. steve butler

B***er, took it to a car boot today (just to try and attract punters to my other tat) and turned down an offer of £70!!!
    Should I have snapped his hand off then?

Ah well, must start those sackutt lessons I've always fancied.

4. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Yes get rid of it,find this man and get his 70 quid!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  5. steve butler

Cheers Stuart - and thanks for ringing Derek.
    Actually maybe car boots are a good idea - this guy was oviously a dealer of some sort, that did'nt know much about brass instruments and thought he could make a killing on this pristine looking trombone mmmmmmmmmmm

I think my concience could handle that

6. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I ts a shame these noble instruments were sent to the great musical scrapyard, in the wrong hands they sounded awful, but in the right hands, awesome.There was no need for them to be replaced, as the GD was used in millitary bands and classical groups for years after the modern day version appeared.I ts like all the things you buy these days,not built to last more than a few years.. I bet your G is still going strong in another 80 years..I wish I could play one I d have it for 70 quid !

7. steve butler

Funnily enough I own an 80 year old Boosey & Co EEb Sousaphone with a 26 inch bell which is an amazing instrument. Big big sound and the valves are a dream. They certainly dont make em like that anymore!!

8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I inherited a Boosey and co Euphonium and had it virtually rebuilt has a great sound, wouldn't part with it for quids

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't rush to get rid of it too cheaply, as there is a market for good quality G trombones. My dad's G has done him sterling service, particularly when play for BierKeller evenings. (Just to clarify, if it is a G/D then it will have a thumb valve attachment)

10. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Mr Butler, got rid of it yet?

11. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

If it is a G/D (with a thumb valve), I will buy it. I have been looking for one for a long time.
    On the other hand, if it is a straight G, I already have two of those...

12. Frosty

Frosty Member

G/D trombone

If it's a G/D trombone stick it on ebay. There was one for sale on there a couple of months ago. I think it sold for nearly £400.

Frosty

13. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Or sell it to me for £400 right now...

14. steve butler

Wow, now I'm confused, yes it has a thumb valve (needs a little repair work). Have not got a case I'm afraid as that fell apart. Instrument in good nick though. Could send a photo if that would help.

15. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Get rid for 400 quid... thats 2 weeks in the sun all free!

16. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

I'll send you a PM with my contact details, Steve.

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I seem to recall Derek getting the G/D Bass Bone during my brief flirtation with B&R in the 1960's.
    I remember it being a monster with a double slide, but Derek, being a big strong lad had no bother wielding it !
    I could be wrong here, but I think he used it to good effect one year at the RAH massed bands concert in the 12/8 of "Le Preludes" - awesome.
    It might have been the "Meistersingers" year.
    All this could be blurred by the mists of time and a surfeit of beer over the years !!
    - Wilkie

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

A double slide G/D? Sounds unlikely! Maybe it was a contrabass of some sort?

19. Frosty

Frosty Member

G/D trombone

The G/D that Derek would have played at Brighouse was still there when I joined them in 1987.It only had a normal G trombone slide, and was great to play. Their other band instument was a King Duo Gravis Silversonic. Another great instrument that you don't really see used too often these days.

20. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Ihave spoke to Derek again and he has confirmed that he played the straight G TROM when Brighouse won the nationals on meistersingers in 1968,they won it again the following year on High Peak but this time he was on the GD, he didn t like the sound as much as the straight G ( He played a high pitch straight G with the tuning slide hanging out) .. but what a sound, all the vinter pieces were written for G trom, but as the test pieces became harder he had to use the GD. Derek still plays his G and refuses to change, he is quite right when he says that there is no other sound like it !