Having the same adjudicator each year.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flatatone, Mar 16, 2005.

1. flatatone

flatatone Member

I was just wondering why scotland always has the same adjudicator each year?

I don't think I have ever been to a Scottish Championships yet without David Read in the box, infact he is in the box about 85% of all the competitions I have competed. Is there nobody else wanting to be in the box at the Scottish Regionals? This is something I think SBBA need to have a look at, unless there is a point to this that a don't know? Another thing is the remarks sheet which my band recieved I found was a pill of dung, just bad this, untidy that, no positive points towards the band and ways of improving, while there was a tonne of music produced on the day of the proformance.

Chris Dale

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Read
    scotland
    Scottish Championships
    Scottish Regionals
    SBBA
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

L & SC have had the same two over a couple of years but have changed for this year, so maybe there'll be some different comments coming from the stage ;)

4. Young Virtuoso

Young Virtuoso New Member

Changes

I agree with flatatone. Most of my experiences of the Scottish Championships have been with David Read in the box, in fact almost every other competition as well! I personally think he is out-dated and that some fresh faces are needing to be put in the box. Dont other adjudicators, especially younger ones, deserve a chance?

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Strange complaint! From what I can gather, reading various remarks here and on 4BR, many bands would be rather relieved if they were assured of having David Read adjudicating them every qualifiers ...

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic here? If your remarks read "Bad 'this'" & "untidy 'that'", then if you go away and fix 'this & 'that', then presumably you will do better next time? I realise this may be a little simplistic, but I don't see in what way these comments can be seen as unhelpful?

Better that, surely, than the remarks sheet (and we've all had them!) which says, "excellent 'this'" & "good 'that'", and praises your performance all the way through, and you still don't win ... ?

G.

6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

At least you can say that the adjudicating is consistent whether it is good or bad.

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

David Read is a very competant and well respected adjudicator - you should be applauding the SSBA!

8. JK57

JK57 New Member

He's one of the best adjudicators around, who would you rather have?

JK57

9. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

The West of England Area have a couple of chaps you can have!

10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

David Read is a great audjudicator.... I wouldnt complain if I were you....

11. Steve Nicoll

Steve Nicoll Member

David Read is one of the top men in the box at the moment. When you see his name as adjudicator you know exactly the things he will be looking for - the basics, namely intonation, balance, accurate rythmns and a sense of musical style.
    I have never read what I considered an unfair critique from him. I think that is one of the reasons the SBBA keep asking him back.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Read
    scotland
    Scottish Championships
    Scottish Regionals
    SBBA
  13. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

At least with the same adjudicator year after year, you know whether he is listening for a technically or musically accurate performance.

14. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Notice that this year Scotland were the first to announce their adjudicators, just after the pieces were announced - David Read has obviously been booked very well in advance - and we are very lucky to have him in the box over the weekend. He is one of the most experianced adjudicators about, and would be most welcome in any box in the country.

15. flatatone

flatatone Member

Yer David Read maybe good adjudicator, but what I am trying to say is, there is more good adjudicators out there, give them a turn basically!

16. JK57

JK57 New Member

Name better ones, it's easy to say get someone else, so go on name names who you like in place of David Read?

JK57