Have you Seen the day after Tomorrow???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by IckleSop, Jun 8, 2004.

1. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

I have just seen the pirate dvd of The Day After Tomorrow, good film yet you know whats going to happen all the way though?! anyone agree??

Just thought it would be funny to see what people would like to see when the world ends????

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Day After Tomorrow
    day
    good film
    world ends
    pirate dvd
  3. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

ooooh, i want to see that!!!!

4. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

was it supposed to be a comedy? it was so funny. I know it is a film, but surely they could have come up with something better than that!

I don't like it as a film, and on top of that, they've took a serious issue and 'hollywoodised' it. And because it was completely unrealistic (and physically impossible i'd say too, but don't quote me) people (mainly americans it has to be said) aren't going to take it any more seriously, and even less so in some cases, than before.

5. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Film is probably the worst medium to express this growing concern.
    By turning an immensely important issue into your average Godzilla flick, the film makers have worried me greatly.

The mass flooding of the world WILL happen.

It has been scientifically hypothesized only, but the proof is there for all to see and some of the prophesies are already starting to happen.
    (Shift and reduction of Polar Ice, causing the reduction of salt around Gulf Stream.)
    If this continues, the current will stop completely and we'll all be *bleeped*
    It's not going to take a long period of time either, possibly as few as 25 years.

It's merely a question of whether you'll be killed by it, or you will already be dead.

People who know me will tell you that I'm no heretic or super-pessimist. It's not my purpose to go scaremongering people, but I truly am shit scared of this happening. Britain will cease to function/exist.

It's not a laughing matter.
    I really am frightened of this.

6. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I think we should be very worried, it is estimated that in 50 years time over 50 million people will be made homeless by flooding due to sea level rise - this obviously is only one of the many things that will happen due to temperature rises.

7. I saw the film at the weekend and I was a wee bit scared too. But as luck would have it I've just had a chat about it with a geography teacher at my school and he says it will not happen in our life time - so nobody worry. He reckons it will be 100s of years before it happens!

He did tell me about some volcano thingie that will erupt somewhere in America that will cause a nuclear winter and we'll all die quite soon. This volcano was due to erupt 40,000 years ago so it might happen quite soon. We just don't know .........

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I saw the film and was relieved that was not as cheesy as 'Independence Day'... which was a surprise considering the subject matter and production team!

I thought the film was good - the special effects are amazing and seeing New York submerged was eery.

As for the facts, I am no scientist but it would make sense that something like this will happen in the future. Time scales, I have no idea but history dictates that the world destroys and recreates itself...why not again?

9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

erm, sorry, I don't want any of my decendants to have to put up with this sort of thing because I couldn't be bothered, and just ignored the problem.

yes, undoubtedly the world will have climate changes both locally and globally over time naturally, but if you look at the evidence, it is plain to me that the current trend of rising temperature is off the cycle, and is in fact a far quicker rise than would be expected from evidence of temperature change over the past however many years (thousands/millions).

10. ScrapingtheBottom

Yeah I agree with what Neil said about this. I'd also like to add that your Geography teacher isn't in step with current projections, serious effects in 50 years according to latest calculations, which (I hope) will be within my lifetime.

11. Well Worth It

The aforementioned Geography teacher either:
    a:/ was trying not to worry you.
    b:/ doesn't know what they're on about, probably majored in geology or cartography and muddles their way through the rest of the syllabus.

NOW is the time to be worrying about this effect that WE are having on this planet.
    You think it's all going to be happy *beepy* days when ____ starts crumbling around you?
    When the temperature gets so high around the equator that the ground gets scorched beyond recognition and can no longer support life?
    TREES ARE DEAD and no more can replace them?
    Increasing global demography and imbalanced O²:CO² ratio in the air is going to STRANGLE LIFE SLOWLY ON THIS PLANET.

In the meantime of course, the more temperate areas of the globe will be flooded and freeze. RIGHT LAUGH.

All of this is assuming that UVA, UVB and GCR's don't anhiallate life on Earth first, due to greatly reduced ozone protection.

GCR's (Galactic Cosmic Rays) are really *beep* nasty.
    You know you're made up of billions of pretty little di-helical DNA strands?
    Well FORGET ABOUT THEM, cos GCR's rip through them like a samurai sword through lace. You will MELT to the consistency of custard.

I think some people on here better wise up. QUICKLY.
    DO NOT IGNORE ME.
    I can't believe you are all so selfish.
    "It's alright for us, it'll never happen to us, I'm not going to have children so I don't care, It won't happen for hundreds of years, tree-huggers, enviro-freaks, blah, blah, blah...."

My apologies go out to those that actually give a fuck.

IT'S JUST THAT YOU BIGOTTED, IGNORANT PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK TO THE CORE!!!
    You deserve to perish cos you just don't care.
    Well, I hope that you realise fully what you've done and pay heavily for it before you hit the snooze button.

Amen.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Day After Tomorrow
    day
    good film
    world ends
    pirate dvd
  13. ScrapingtheBottom

Well I agree with your sentiment, although I'm not too sure about the militant style. I think we should be more worried about SCR's (Solar Cosmic Rays) rather than GCR's but I'm probably being a pedant.

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

time to take a breath here.... admittedly things need to change, but there's no reason for us to cower in the wardrobe just yet! There is a lot of work being done on alternative fuels, and in the next few year the kyoto convention should kick in (everywhere except the good ol US of A) so I would imagine the current trend will slow down. LPG cars are slowly becoming more popular, and I think this will increase exponentially over the next 5-10 years until they are in the majority (like unleaded cars...) and renewable forests are gradually taking the strain off the big rainforests. It's not an instant solution, but that was never going to happen, but things are improving, and I really don't think screaming at people and scaring them with worst-case senarios is the best way to go about things...

lets all have a cup of tea and a hovis biscuit and just sit back for five minutes... at least we know what the problems are so we can sort it now, just give it a bit of time, and enjoy the hot weather while it's here!

:wink:

15. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Cheers lad, one sugar and a couple of chocolate hobnobs for me.

All this end of the world stuff is a bit over the top, we WILL get another ice age at some point, we're currently living in an interglacial since the last one, but I can't see it being the end. We are nothing if not adaptable - compare our current climate to that of the area where the species evolved, and it's far FAR colder!

16. ScrapingtheBottom

Oh we'll probably survive as a species but lots of people will die.

By way, sugar in tea is morally wrong... :wink: :shock:

17. Well Worth It

Sorry about the rant earlier. :roll:
    ----------------------------------------

Lynchie, this is exactly the sort of attitude that gets my goat.

"Things are being done, so I don't have to worry about it."
    "Things will sort themselves out in 5-10years or so.."
    "LPG will solve the problem" --> haha.....give over!
    You clearly don't care enough to help yourself and I'm sorry about that.
    The problem is here. NOW.
    It needs sorting. NOW.
    We cannot rely on other people to sort this out for us.
    It's all very well blaming previous generations, but what are the next going to say about us.

Are they going to say "They knew all the dangers and still did nothing"?
    Or are they going to say "Thank goodness they rectified the situation and reversed the trend"?

Governments across the globe know all about the dangers.
    They have the best futurologists working for them, but their advice gets spurned because their suggestions are not economically viable to put in place.

We are being let down by our leaders.
    People NEED to be scared by this.
    Its very *flipping* scary.

18. ScrapingtheBottom

No, we are being let down by the political and economic constructs that we operate in. The global market for instance is a total construct, it has no real meaning and is dominated by rumour and speculation. However, the reason people won't act on environmental issues is that they are either against the best interests of the global market or that the global market makes them difficult to do. Money is a total construct, it is meaningless, get rid of it!

19. Well Worth It

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    I love it :!:

20. Bassment Jinx

Bassment Jinx Member

Anyway.... I havent seen it yet but am going to the cinema with some mates this Saturday. Its either that or Troy, not sure yet so to anyone who's seen both which is better ?

21. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

hmm... so now i'm offended...

we're not doing NOTHING! You seem to expect the entire human race to change their energy usage over night! I'm not saying lpg is going to solve everything BUT IT'S A START! All of the things I mentioned are a start in the right direction! And it's not like I don't do anything about it and sit on my arse all day! I recycle, I try and save energy where I can, I use public transport, I encourage people to drive smaller cars, I buy produce that has been made in environmentally friendly ways... WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT??? You can't make everything different overnight! You see one film and read a few reports and you turn into a paranoid delusional! The world is NOT GOING TO END TOMORROW!!!

Things ARE being done, our leaders ARE investing money in solution and so are huge multinational companies because it is in their interest to do so! 5-10 years is a realistic time line for any major change in human energy consumption, in fact it's cutting it very tight!

So I'm sorry that I can't wave a magic wand and make the world healthy for you by the time you finish your cornflakes BUT THAT ISN'T HOW THE WORLD WORKS! How ever much money is a big pile of pants it still counts for a lot, and it costs a hell of a lot to put these programmes into place to get alternative fuels in mass usage, to increase efficiency and to reduce waste.

Stop living in your dream world and get over yourself!

22. Well Worth It

I haven't even seen the damned film (nor WILL I be doing), so it has had no effect on me whatsoever. I'm basing my argument on a purely scientific basis and fear for the future of our planet.
    I'm neither paranoid, delusional OR talking rubbish.
    I'm just frightened that these matters are being played down by our governments and in some cases, not taken seriously at all eg. USA.

The hardest aspect of our current situation to change, will not be fuel usage, getting citizens to recycle their beer cans, or transportation.
    It is the condecending global attitude of Joe Bloggs Publico.
    The head in the sand burial by denizens of Earth.
    I told you before that I'm not in the business of scaremongering folk, but I do believe that awareness needs raising considerably higher than the next Hollyflood flick.

Areas of deforestation in the East of Brazil are already heating up to a level that may not be condusive to replenishment. The lungs of the planet are getting sick. ALREADY HAPPENING.

It is you that is living in cuckoo land if you can't see that there is a major disaster brewing under the surface. But that's OK isn't it, cos you don't need to submerge yourself, cos "someone else" is going to do it for us.

If what you say is so Lynchie, then you are placing yourself into the category consisting of those people that give a *beep*, and my apologies are extended to you also.