Have you given your instrument a Name?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Zappa, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Zappa

Zappa Member

Does your instrument have a name?

Instrument (type)?

Instrument: Euphonium
    Name: Betty or Betsy (also referred to as my dooferdiddlum!)
    Reason: No idea what-so-ever
  2. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I've had many instruments with names.......

my 3rd trumpet is called Trumper - my dad named it.

then I played several Cornets. There was Tricorna and Cornetta - dad and I thought they had to have names to match Trumper.

finally I got my current cornet: Getzonica - its a Getzen cornet.

Not only that but we have Danny the Dishwasher, Timmy the Tumble dryer and Will the Washing machine....... Lol
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  3. still learnin

still learnin Member

It seemed obvious at the time of the Lewinsky scandal!
  4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

My cornet is called Preston.
    I was going to call it "short attention span" because the band bought it for Columbo while he was on on one of his "I will be the best top man this band has ever had" spells!
  5. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

No, my bass is called an Eb bass.
  6. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

My Baritone is called
    because its;
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not "names" as such, however, ever since my university days I have always referred to all my trumpets/cornets as "tractors". I have no recollection of why ...
  9. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

My goodness...Whats it like there on your planet? :rolleyes:
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I thought it was because of the terrifying noise that comes out of it? :biggrin:
  11. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Was that a new year resolution just crashing and burning Mr Baker?
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Nope! I've only made one, and it's got nothing to do with being nice to Perksy ;)
  13. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Ah My mistake! Though that resolution will probably infuriate him anyway...:biggrin:
  14. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Not named my sop, maybe I should, it does have a mind of it's own most of the time and can be real hard work getting it to do what I want it to do.... I think it's definitely male
  15. I have never given any names to my instruments, but I have called them several.
  16. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Mine's not got a name, but she does have a gender.......and I do talk to her occasionally........
  17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

When I was at school aged about 14 I named my EEb Bass "Sylvia" after a girl I admired.
    Cuddling the tuba was about as close as I got to her !!

It was the subject of much humourous conversation between my mates and I on the lines of "How's Sylvias this", and "Does Sylvia that".
    There were of course sniggering lewd references to slides, waterkeys and much worse.

We thought we were so funny - pathetic really !!

- Mr Wilx (Blushing)
  18. Zappa

Zappa Member

Mr Wilx, please don't call it pathetic ... It is quite funny and I found your post a little amusing! Me and my friends still do similar things (yes, after a few beers). I do various things with my dooferdiddlum, my friend a bass trombone player calls his instrument bass boneio where-as it never stops making me giggling when an organ playing friend of mine regularly talks of playing with his organ in various places. He also doubles as a percussionist and plays the shows. One time he couldn't make it to the pub as he was 'banging Annie until late.' OK, fair doos ... Actual age: 28 Mental age: 8 (approx)
  19. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Did the real Sylvia ever actually find out?

And indeed, did she bear any resemblance to said instrument?!

If I were her, I'd be less than impressed at having a tuba named after me!

I realise I may have put on a bit of weight over Christmas, but I don't think I'm Bb Bass-sized yet!

Now, if someone wanted to name their tenor horn or cornet/trumpet after me................ ; )
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member