Have I got news for you

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by steve butler, May 2, 2008.

1. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Bit of a one off this - but just watched have I etc. hosted by Brian Blessed.

Could not stop myself laughing, don't normally like the man but this was very funny.
    So, who's your favourite host (or who would you like to see host) of this top show?
  2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Good point well made - he was hilarious! I enjoyed Anne Widicombe (SP?) she was very funny and into the spirit too!
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At the outset, Jonathan and I wondered if it was going to be a bit OTT, but actually it worked very well.

Hard to pick out favourite hosts, but I loved the one with Bruce Forsyth, and the new Mayor of London usually does well ;)
  4. Di B

Di B Member

I liked Ann W too. Not sure if they have hosted it but I would like to see Johnathon Ross, Vic Reeves and now ex PM Tony Blair.... That would be worth watching! Also J K Rowling has shown a quirky sense of humour in interviews....
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Hmm, we turned it off after about only 5 minutes last night, Brian Blessed was driving me mad. I'd already said that to him indoors, and he said did I want it turning off, but I said "no, leave it". Then he got fed up with his voice, the mumbling, the hand in front of the mouth when he was talking, it just didn't seem to be carrying properly. So I'm afraid it went off.

Sounds like it must have got better after that though. :rolleyes:
  6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Indeed it would, if the chairmanship of another ex PM, Neil Kinnock, is anything to go by. It was one of the most enjoyable editions I can ever remember, with Lord "Little Bit of A Hypocrite for Accepting a Peerage When He Always Said He Wouldn't" Kinnock being torn to shreds by Will Self and Ian Hislop, while the Welsh Windbag himself wore an expression of grim determination to suggest that he was really enjoying himself.

Most amusing! I look forward to possibility of the same ignominy befalling Mr Blair.
  7. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Ex PM Kinnock? In his dreams only, thank goodness.
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Bring back Boris

Was having a chat with a mate yesterday about whether his new job will mean the end of his HIGNFY appearances - I really hope it doesn't.

As for Brian Blessed - loved it, even more so whilst watching the extended version on BBCi
  9. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Yes, particularly liked the t**d on the shoulder Everest story :biggrin:
  10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I liked it when Jo Brand did it. probably just the way she controls the humour which makes her funny
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

There's nothing stopping Tony doing it......... or to be more specific 2 or 3 'nothing's' in a row added to the end of a BBC appearance fee cheque.....

HIGNFY certainly made the best (through script writing and obvious editing) of Blessed's age and generally 'odd' personality.

Having said that, someone who has been a major shakespearean actor, succesful star of multiple films (Who want's to live forever?) TV Series and musicals and yet record holder for oldest person to reach magnetic north pole and also to have made several serious (if, as yet, unsuccessful) attempts on Everest as well a many other physical challenges is bound to have idiosyncrasies - to be fair as the son of a south yorkshire mineworker someone of his breath control and stature could just have ended up playing BBb in Brass Bands so perhaps we should be thankful ???

This episode of HIGNFY - OTT - in places yes, definately, but in places also giving a truly funny performance whilst refusing to perform the charade of following 'scripted improvisations'.
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

And that's where the episode was at it's best imo.

An excellent performance I thought - even better on a strongbow'ed-up Saturday night!
  13. MattB

MattB Member

I loved it! Brian is always so funny! He really made that Tory MP squirm!!!
  14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

And our nightmares of course. Dear God and saints preserve us! How on earth did I make a mistake like that?

I must have been thinking of the Sun's famous headline on the day of the general election: "If Kinnock wins today, would the last person to leave Britain please turn off the lights".

Sackcloth and ashes.....